a mother's mourning - chapter 13

'She's just stressed, I'm sure she didn't mean it' Nik tried to sympathise with Astrid as Rebekah walked past with a syringe. 'Beks..?' Astrid frowned as she looked at it before Rebekah walked over, 'Sedative.. it'll calm down the weather complications right?'

Astrid nodded silently and Bekah carried on towards her bedroom. The hybrid leant against the bar she had been at most of the day, running her hands through her hair and blinking back tears. Letting out a big breath as she looked at Nik, laughing to herself to try and shield her true feelings.

'You see her as your daughter, don't you?' Nik and Astrid had always been on similar paths, the only person Nik could psychoanalyse was his wife. 'I mean, can you tell?' She laughed sadly to herself. 'That girl is such a fighter and I failed her' she looked at Nik, absolutely broken. A wave of concern washed over him before he took her in his arms straight away, 'Come here'

'I don't know what to do, Nik' she mumbled into his chest as he ran his hands through her hair. 'I know, love I know. We're going to work it out okay? Us against the world. Remember?'

She smiled, recalling the night.

Flashback.
The Village.

It was a late night in the village. Astrid stirred in her bed, struggling to sleep. It wasn't long after she had turned for the first time and the experience ran through her head on a loop.

'Astrid.. Astrid!' Nik whisper shouted through her window. 'Huh?' She wiped her eyes groggily and sat up. 'Astrid!'

'Nik?' She squinted her eyes as she looked through the window only for her eyes to widen at the sight of his face.

Blood was streaming out of his nose.

'What the hell happened?'

'Please let me in. He's going to find me!' Nik hurried as Astrid moved out the way and he jumped through. When his feet touched the floor, he grabbed her instantly. His hands held onto the material of her nightgown and they stood for a moment in peace under the moonlight, the young wolf was just thankful Nik couldn't see how red her cheeks got.

'It was Mikael, wasn't it?' She whispered, sad that it had happened again. 'He hates me.. he always will'

The two looked at each other and she frowned and sighed before grabbing his hand, leading them through her hut before coming to the kitchen. She sat him down at a chair before grabbing a cloth and sitting next to him.

'I'm sorry to wake you' a rare apology passed the 16 year old's lips as she smiled, 'Anything for you, Mikaelson'

'You really don't have too..' Nik's emotions were all over the place. In his eyes, he didn't want to drag the girl he loved into his mess, Mikael had convinced him that he didn't deserve anyone to love, let alone the werewolf girl. 'Nik, I want to help you'

She took his face in her hand and scooted closer, beginning to wipe the blood away. He kept his face down but looked up at her, a small smile gracing his lips and her heart stopped for a moment.

'What?'

She shook her head and realised she'd been caught staring, blushing. Once she finished, she pulled him back into her room, deducting that Mikael would see him if he left through the front door as the Mikaelsons lived opposite her house.

Just before he was about to jump out of the window, she pulled him back. 'Nik.. what does he say to you?' She asked shyly. 'You don't need to hear-'

'Please'

He got down and sat on her bed, his elbows propping him up as his hair hung over his face and she sat down next to him, legs touching. She placed an affectionate hand on his back and drew circles with her index finger, giving him time to speak.