malraux - chapter 23

'Monique, are you okay? Monique, you sounded like you were possessed.' Davina ran to her friend.

The recently resurrected Harvest girl turned to face Davina, 'I wasn't possessed. I was channeling the ancestors. They say it's time to complete the Reaping. To do that, the fourth Harvest girl must be resurrected, which means... it's time for Genevieve to die.'

The Bayou.

Astrid sat on the porch with Hayley and Eve, drinking hot tea and overlooking the river. The weather was gloomy. She wore a grey hoodie and a black leather jacket with black washed jeans - the same boots she wore on the regular. The clearing was packed to the brim with wolves from all over the country.

'You've gotta be kidding me. Seriously, what is going on? Who are all these people? Why are they standing out here all weird and lurk-y?'

Being put through the adoption system, Hayley was unaware of what being part of a pack was actually like unlike Astrid. The Hybrid had ran with many packs throughout the centuries, often bonding with whatever wolves inhabited where the Mikaelsons called home.

'They've come from all over. All the packs.' Eve sipped her tea as she spoke, her blonde braid sitting on her shoulder. 'Why? To see a baby that isn't even born yet?'

'Forget the baby. These freaks, they come here to see you. You know, given the place your parents held in pack hierarchy, maybe they think you're gonna be the long-lost werewolf messiah or something.' Oliver walked out of the shack and Astrid shook her head, laughing.

'What I believe Oliver is trying to say, love is that your parents were pretty much royalty among the packs. It was believed that the daughter of the Labonairs was lost forever, so when you turn up out of nowhere - you're gonna get an audience.' Astrid explained clearer.

'Ah well, no pressure or anything.' Hayley shrugged as Oliver elbowed Astrid in the ribs and she sighed, 'Eve - hold my tea for a moment?'

She smiled at the blonde and she scoffed, 'Oh god, here we go'. Hayley looked at the blonde confused. 'Just wait for it' Eve nudged her to look back at Astrid as the Hybrid took a breath, pursing her lips and blinking violently once. She put her hands together before rubbing them and slapping Oliver round the jaw and Eve burst out laughing.

Ollie rubbed his cheek and smiled and Astrid folded her arms, scrunching her nose up at him. His phone went off, 'Well excuse me, grumpy'

Astrid watched him walk away and turned back to the women. 'Are you listening to the conversation?' Hayley asked.

'Oh, of course.'

The hybrid was intrigued to hear her husband's voice. Turning around and squinting, waiting to hear what he was up too.

'Yeah, um, about that. We got wolves coming in by the truckload right now, so it's gonna be a little tricky to find just one guy. I mean, all you gave me was a first name.' Oliver tried to excuse himself.

'Yes. His name is Cary. He's got blond hair and brown eyes. He's one of my clan, a distant relative from the Northeast Atlantic pack. His presence is required if we are to continue with our plan. You find him and you bring him to me.'

Hayley watched as Astrid's eyebrows raised.

'All right, fine. I'm on it.' Oliver caved in.

'Another thing-- my brother will soon invite you to a feast honoring the witches. You and your friends will graciously accept the invitation.'

'Now why the hell would we do that?'

'Because if Elijah believes his treaty is working, he'll be less inclined to get in my way.'