the reigning pain down in New Orleans - chapter 35

Astrid walked through into Hayley's bedroom as the wolf mother was packing things away for her daughter. She leant on the doorway feeling glum as the new hybrid turned around, wiping tears away. 'You can cry in front of me, you know?'

Astrid tried to smile at her and Hayley cracked a tired laugh, 'I'm okay. I promise.'

'Have you completed your transition?' Astrid walked towards her, arms crossed with a furrowed brow. Hayley nodded and Astrid brought her into a hug. The new mother broke down at this, clutching onto the hybrid's hair as she choked on sobs tucked into Astrid's shoulder. 'You know, I made a promise to your mother'

Hayley broke away and looked at her best friend, 'What?'

She sat down on the rocking chair and Hayley sat on a stool next to the crib. 'The day your mother, Victoria told me she was fearful of war. She made me swear that I would protect you, no matter what. That I would stand by you through everything and do anything to keep you alive.'

She took Hayley's hands in hers as the Labonair daughter welled up again, provoking Astrid to do the same. 'I kept one part of that promise, Andréa. The day I gave you to Marcel. I wanted you to live. And now you've come home and when I look at you' she breathed a shallow and broken breath, 'I see Vicky. I see your mother.'

Hayley's tears reflected in the moonlight as Astrid looked at the empty crib, 'Now that promise, Hayley... stems to your baby girl. I swear to you that we will bring her home. She will grow up with a family who loves her, in her family home.. just not yet'

Hayley grabbed onto her at this point, the two embraced again as the women cried letting out all of the angst and pressure they held over the last few days. 'There's always a light at the end of the tunnel, sweetheart'

They broke apart and Astrid held her face, wiping away a tear as she finished. 'You've just gotta get through the tunnel first'

Hayley nodded, her lips pouting as Elijah came to the doorway. 'We're ready'

The Mikaelson brother looked between the two women with sympathy. Hayley looked at Elijah nodding before turning back to Astrid, 'Thank you.'

Her voice sounded broken but meant it with love as she left Astrid's arms. 'Remember the plan'

When the pair had gone, Astrid looked into the mirror at Hayley's dresser and wiped her eyes before she walked out and joined Nik at their car. Astrid admired from afar for a moment and he tucked his daughter into her car seat.

'Nik'

He turned around and smiled slightly at the sight of his wife, 'Are you ready?'

'As ready as I'll ever be' she huffed and he kissed her forehead quickly. She reached into her trouser pocket, remembering that she had found something in her draw before the Battle of New Orleans that she meant to show Hayley.

Flashback.
1986, The Bayou.

'Hey, Astrid!'

The hybrid smiled as she pushed through the crowd to her best friend. 'I'm glad you could make it' Vicky smiled as she handed Astrid a red solo cup and she took a swig, 'Happy to be here'

'Astrid hey!' Andrew Labonair came bounding over and hugged Astrid, clearly drunk. 'Have you told her yet, babe?'

'Told me what?'

Victoria smiled and put her cup down before digging through her jacket pocket, 'Max made us these rings the other day'. She took out two wooden rings of different sizes. Upon closer inspection, the Hybrid noticed a crescent moon had been carved into each of them and Astrid beamed, 'Oh Vicky, they're beautiful.'