where can i go to save my soul? - chapter 18

1919
That morning.

I'd like to be that lucky devil
Who gets to burn with you

Astrid Mikaelson stood over a stove making tea that morning, Nik still being knocked out cold in bed. Dancing around the kitchen, she sung the lyrics to a song called 'Lucky Devil'

I'd learn to live on that lower level
With a big box fan or two

The unification of New Orleans brought a smile to her face as she sung, grabbing an apple and crunching into it, mumbling the next lines.

Well, I'm no angel, my wings have been clipped
I've traded my halo for horns & a whip

Nik awoke now, smiling sleepily at the lyrics and getting some clothes in, sneaking into the kitchen.

I'd like to be that lucky devil
Who gets to burn with you

He crept up behind her, lacing his hands around her waist and swaying. It was as if she breathed a sigh of relief, melting into him as she sung. He spun her around to face him and she wrapped her arms around his neck, him tucking himself into hers.

That's true, I like to burn with you

'You know we've got staff to do this kind of thing, don't you?' Nik mumbled into her neck and she laughed at his sleepy tone. Running her hand up and down his bare back, she smiled with a glint in her eye. 'Can I not make my husband morning tea in our family home?'

'Well, I'm not going to argue with that' he smirked at her, his bed hair running rife with curls falling over his eyes - kissing her good morning before planting one on her forehead.

His big brother interrupted them.

'You know, I'd like to know how you two have lasted so long' he leaned up against the doorway for the first time that day.

'It's called love, 'Lijah. It's been a thousand years yet your brother is always quite the charmer.' She sat on the kitchen table and took a sip of her tea, Nik humming in appreciation when he sipped his. 'Marry a woman who's good with tea, big brother and you'll be smiling for centuries'

Astrid chuckled at this, ready to shoot back straight away. She stood up, sauntering back to their bedroom after teasing her husband, 'Yes, Nik! Because that's the only reason you married me'

'Excuse me, brother. It seems I have business to attend too'

...

'Have I ever told you how much you suit red?' Nik watched his wife undo her hair pins at the dresser, the dark oak contrasting with her burgundy silk dressing gown.

'I should hope you think so, it's not like I haven't been wearing it constantly for a thousand years' She rose her eyebrows as she undone her last pin. The fashion of that era often required her to tame her curls and being the Queen of New Orleans, she always kept up with the times.

'You know..' Nik begun, leaning back on the bed, 'I think we've finally found a home here'

She turned around on her chair to face him, 'You think so?'

'I know so.'

The one thing Nik and Astrid always wanted was a permanent home. They thought that they wouldn't be able to have kids, even less of a chance until Nik had broken the curse that his parents used to bound his werewolf side. But they had each other, that to them was all that mattered in that moment.

'Well Mr. Mikaelson, living out eternity with you by my side in a city full of life, love, good food and great music' she sauntered over to him before climbing on top of his frame - straddling him - and carried on, 'sounds like a dream come true'