as the moon hits its apex - chapter 20

Flashback.
The Village.

Night had fallen after the earlier incident when Astrid had called for Elijah. Astrid's mother had allowed her to stay at the Mikaelsons overnight, being fully aware of Mikael's activity and knowing she would do anything to protect Nik.

She laid awake as Nik slept in her arms and she ran her hands through his hair. Suddenly, she heard the floorboards creak and jumped, hoping it wasn't Mikael. Due to her jumping, Nik began to stir. 'Go back to sleep, love it's okay.' Nik looked up at her, 'Are you okay?'

She smiled at him sleepily when she saw how dopey he looked, she cupped his face softly. 'I'll be okay when you get a good night sleep'

The two looked at each other for a moment before Nik spoke up, 'I wish you didn't have to see me like this' His face was centimetres from hers, his breath tickling her nose.

'Nik I meant what I said. Me and you against the world, always.'

'You really are everything to me, Astrid' Nik smiled when she blushed, trying to hide amongst the bedding. He placed a hand on her waist and looked for approval, when it was given by a small smile, he took her into his arms - him deciding he needed to do the protecting for the rest of the night.

...

It was early morning when Astrid awoke again to the sound of scuffling, she crawled out of his grip and crept outside to see Rebekah Mikaelson standing over her father, the same sword she defended her brother with in her hand. The blonde looked up instantly and the girls looked like deer in headlights.

'Bekah?' Astrid whisper shouted as Elijah found his baby sister and froze too. He grabbed Rebekah and took the knife out of her hand before ushering her out.

Present day.

'What is this, some melodramatic fiction designed to garner my sympathy?' Klaus struggled to believe it.

'It is the truth. I was there. And she would have done it, all to protect you, had I not stopped her. I often wished that I could revisit that moment, complete the task myself.'

'He's not lying to you, Nik' Astrid's voice came above a whisper as he looked between the pair, 'Why are you telling me this now?' He asked his brother.

'Niklaus, sometimes our sister acts without thinking. She's short of temper, she's quick to fall in love, but she loves you. But, your malicious treatment has broken her heart. So, yes, she responded by summoning our father. Yes, that was a mistake. I'm not entirely sure that I can blame her.'

'I can.'  Klaus vamped to the tomb where Rebekah was hiding and still had hold of Astrid's hand.

'So help me—' Elijah stood infront of them, holding weapon in each hand.

'It's not exactly viable is it, 'Lijah? "You denied me the love of my adoptive nephew! Now I'm going to have you killed and your wife along with you!"'

Astrid mocked her mercilessly as she stood by Nik's side. 'Are you really going to stand against me? And not with that pathetic blade. You'd just have to pull it out someday, and then I'd hate you as I do her, now. If you want to protect Rebekah, you'll need to use the white oak stake.' Klaus stated quite plainly.

' I don't have to listen to this nonsense.' Elijah dismissed their comments as Klaus shrugged his shoulders, 'Oh, don't pretend you haven't thought about it. You look at me, and you see everything you abhor in yourself. Sure, you dress it up with your fancy suits and your handkerchiefs. You, with your mask of civility and eloquence, you're every bit the abomination I am. Or worse. Go on, Elijah. Go on. Use the white oak stake.'