23

EVERYONE HAD RETURNED FROM break by now, so you and Draco decided to skip classes. The two of you had been locked up in his dorm all day, trying to further his talents in occlumency. It was almost dark out. 

"Legilimens." You cast your spell over him, again searching through his mind. You try again to search his childhood, his summers before you, but he does not break. You think of the first night you studied with him in the common room. He resists, but when you push harder his walls come down.

You see yourself from his eyes again, he stands at the bottom of the common room stairs and looks at you sitting in the chair, then he's sitting next you and his eyes are glancing to the side to look at you as you're writing on parchment. Then he's kissing you, carrying you to his dorm.

The memory changes, it's the day he left Hogwarts. He walks out his dorm, leaving you there. The second the door is shut on you, he places his head in his hands and sobs. Then he's at home and he's opening your letter, sitting on his bed with tears in his eyes.

You break the spell. "Fight harder. Push me out!" You shout. Performing and receiving a Legilimens spell was exhausting for both parties, and you were growing tired. He stands up, throwing his hands in the air.

"I'm trying! But you," his points in your direction, "you're in my head, you're under my skin, you're everywhere! My love for you is too strong, it's no use!" You're both breathing heavily, looking at each other.

You run your hands through your hair, taking in a deep breath. Too strong? How can his love be too strong? Was that even a thing? You pace backwards and forwards in his room, your mind racing.

"That's it." You whisper to yourself.

"What is it?" Draco mumbles into his hands, exhausted and soaking wet from sweat.

"That's it!" You say, louder now. "Why hadn't I thought of it earlier?" You walk towards him, placing your hands on his shoulders and guiding him to sit back down. "Use me."

He looks up at you from the couch as you're standing over him, his face puzzled. "I'm sorry, what?"

"Use me! Use the love you have for me as a way to put up a wall. For all your other memories, you're using hatred. This time, for me, use love."

You lean towards him and kiss him. "I know you can do this. I believe in you."

You step back a few paces as he sits down again. "Legilimens." A bright blue light cascades out of your wand and towards Draco. You try to search his mind, memories of his father, of meeting with the other death eaters, the day he received the dark mark, meeting you on your first day. Nothing. You move to the first night you spent together when you came back to Hogwarts, you still can't get in his mind. You try the Yule Ball, nothing. You push harder and search for an important memory, something that means something to him. You think back to the Christmas break you had spent together last year. Focusing on when he gave you your ring, then when he told you he loves you. Nothing, you can't get in. You lift the spell.

You both stare at each other, bursting into excited and disbelieving laughter. "You're bloody brilliant." Draco says, you go over to him and sit on his lap, placing a gentle kiss on his lips.

"You're bloody brilliant. You're the one that done it."

"I could never have done it without you." He pulls you into a hug. "One down, two to go." The mood suddenly turns sour, as you remember the reason you're even doing this.

"Hogsmeade tomorrow, you've got the necklace ready. Right?" You ask

"Yeah, I've cursed it. It's ready. Although I'm not even sure it will work."