4: Jacob's Not-So-Very Good Day

Jacob was not having a very good day, to say the least.

The old snobby lady had come to her florist shop and proceeded to yell at Jacob for not doing his job correctly. In his defense, how was he supposed to put the blue orchids away when the shipment was supposed to come tomorrow? Obviously, he stayed quiet because he really couldn't afford to lose his main source of money.

Then, when he was finally able to go home, his key had gotten jammed in the door. He had to call his landlord, a sweet old lady who looked like she could be tipped over in a second, and to make a long story short, that alone took two hours.

So he was only able to lay on his bed for an hour before he had to get up and get ready for work. All he had to do was throw on his uniform and walk down the street. That was probably the easiest part of the whole day.

Then, he was yelled at by some old man at the grocery store because he was "scanning too many things." How could he scan too many things when he was only scanning the stuff in front of him? Again, he didn't say anything because he really couldn't afford to lose his job.

That night was probably the most boring night he had had in a while. Then again, every night was boring in this part of town. Except when there was a police chase through the neighborhoods because some hooker tried to poison some random guy. Don't ask.

It wasn't until the strange boy from the night before came in that Jacob actually had something to do.

Kevin was out of orange juice. Maybe that wasn't a big deal to a lot of people, but to him it was huge.

He always drank half of a cup of orange juice before bed. If he didn't, lets just say that his moms ankles would have fallen off a while ago.

And that was why he found himself at the same run down grocery store from the night before. Obviously there were better stores, but he really liked how lonely this was. Not in that way of course, he just liked the fact that he wouldn't have to talk to anyone while there. He did feel really bad for whoever had to work there. It must have been pretty boring.

When he had grabbed his Minute Maid orange juice, he quickly made his way down to isle three. When he got there, he noticed two things. One of which was that the same cashier from the night before was there. The other thing being that he was the only cashier there. Scratch that, he might have been the only person there besides Kevin.

The cashier must have noticed Kevin pacing because he was quick to make a comment about it.

"Don't worry, nothing really happens here. I know it looks scary, but thats all concept. No one actually bothers you if you don't bother them."

"Really? I didn't know that."

"I could tell. You don't look like you live on this side of town."

"I don't, actually."

"I'll see you tomorrow?"

"We'll see if I run out of anything."

And then Jacob was left wondering why the boy stepped only on every other tile.