Quite nights

I was kept at the hospital for two more days. Still I didn't know what was wrong with me and what was the yellow gooey stuff that they fed to me. I asked everyone but no one answered.

My parents stayed in shifts at the hospital. My mother stayed in the morning and my father at night. Sometimes Samar kept watch on me. I tried to ask him, why I was kept here as a precious jewel,under everybody's watch but he didn't answer. My only friend here was my headache that accompanies me everyday till the nurse injects me something and my headache is gone too.

I am pretty weak here and whenever I try to get up, I fall back.I vomit a lot during the day, so I smell like rotten eggs. Maybe it's because of the hospital vibes that makes everyone sick or maybe something's horribly wrong with me.

One day, while Samar was keeping watch, I asked him
“Hey! why are you treating me like this?”
“Because ,we care for you”
“But it was just a simple headache, it's not like my head would burst out or something”
“I would have been happy if that would have happened”
“You still have a sassy nerve, I like it”
“And you still have a big head”
We laughed.
“But, tell me if anything bad happens to me, will you miss me” He remained silent. I was just asking a question that was not at all possible. I will not leave this earth without fulfilling my duties and making my enemies die. But why is this question making Samar so sad. I can see his expression changing from happy to melancholy. Judging by his face, I thought he would'nt answer but he said,
“I will miss you more than you know”

 Judging by his face, I thought he would'nt answer but he said,“I will miss you more than you know”

When I came back home, no one was happy. Everyone either cried or maintained a safe distance from me like they maintain from a corpse. Also, I had no clue of Karan, he neither called nor came to meet me at the hospital. And Natasha has vanished too. Why are my friends leaving me now?

Then one day, after they fed me the yellow gooey stuff, I asked my father “Papa, please tell me what is wrong with me?” “Nothing is wrong with you child, it's just the God is not being graceful” “But,papa..” I tried saying ' then why are they treating me like a corpse?' but my father hurriedly left the room while rubbing his eyes. Was he crying, I have never seen my father cry, not since Maya's death. All father's are tough and so is my dad but why was he crying?

This same ritual continued for few more weeks and as the days passed by, I became more restless and eager for answers.I started having nightmares which became worse day by day. So, one day when the doctor came in to check me I threatened him “Tell me, what's wrong with me or I am going to rip this tube off” I demonstrated by pulling the tube that injected colourful liquids into my body. My parents became cautious at once and said “Please don't tell her” I pulled the tube even more.
“I have to, how long are we going to hide it from her?” said the doctor to my parents. My parents nodded and the doctor began “See, Tanya you have developed some abnormal growth in your brain” he saw some tomatoes lying in a basket near me and said “Like these, small tumors are  present in your brain and it's becoming worse day by day” I know what he is talking about, I know as I read it once in a novel. I know the answer but still I asked “So, I am going to die?” and just as I asked it, everyone became quiet and my mother started crying but the doctor didn't reply. He doesn't need to, anymore, I got the answer.