12

DOUBTS

"Oh, Edu! I'm glad to see you and your family here. You made it!"

Lola whines as she opens the door after we heard thrice knocks. We're currently having our breakfast when we heard it. I volunteered to open it but since Lola won't let me because I'm still eating, she decided to be the one. An exciting feeling grows inside me as I can't wait to meet my cousin.  Sana magkasundo kami. I hope hindi mataray.

"Wow, Lola, your place looks new!" A soft voice was getting nearer in the dining hall, which makes my excitement grow wilder.

"Hi," I immediately greeted her once she appeared in the dining hall.

She's beautiful! Her blonde curly hair was tied in a half-ponytail. She's wearing a white sweater partnered with dark wash jeans. Her skin is also white like Ate. She's also wearing her make-up, which makes her more attractive.

"Do I... know you?" She scowled at me.

"We're having our breakfast in the dining hall. Kumain muna kayo." Rinig kong sabi ni Lola habang palapit nang palapit ang mga yabag nila.

"Lola, I didn't know you hired a katulong na pala." She sighed and crossed her arms over her chest.

My lips parted at her words. Is she about me? I blinked as I tried to process her words.

"What? What are you talking about, hija?" Kunot-noo na pumasok si Lola sa hapag-kainan.

"They are your cousins, Maeve." Lolo stood up and introduced me and Ate to her.

With eyes dilated, she loosened crossing her arms over her chest. She scoffed and looks at me from head to toe, then to Ate after. Minutes after, she burst out of laughter.

"Oh, are they the daughter of Aunt Yllana?" Napangiti ako sa sinabi niya. Kilala niya pala si Mama? I nodded at her. "Ah, the daughter's of the uneducated deliveryman that my beautiful Aunt fell in love with? The uneducated deliveryman who ruin your best plans for her? The uneducated deliveryman who's the reason for Aunt's death?" She laughs without humor.

I gasp at her words. Is there any problem with being a deliveryman? Marangal naman 'yon, a'?

"May nakakatawa ba roon, Maeve?" Pigil emosyong sabi ni Ate sa kanya.

From laughing, her eyes dilated as it slowly fades. No one joined her laugh. I looked at her parents. They're just looking down like they're sorry for what their daughter has just said. I looked at Lola and she just looked at me apologetically.

"You're speaking Filipino, huh? Why? Don't you know how to speak English? Oh, poor you!" She crossed her arms after holding her forehead like she's so problematic about it.

"Maeve!" Uncle Edu said with a warning in his voice.

Afternoon came, Ate and I decided to stay in the room Lola gave us. She was quiet the whole time while we're inside the room. She's just scrolling something in her phone while sighing.

"What's wrong?" I asked her.

"I want to go home. Like literally go back to the Philippines." She flops down on her bed.

"What?!"  I startle.

"I want to go home, Se. I can't stay here any longer! I even want to book a plane ticket right now!"

"Are you serious?" I chuckled unbelievably. "Wala pang Christmas, a? we plan to celebrate our Christmas here with our grandparents, isn't it?"