20

Areum didn't bother to ask Jaemin where they were going anymore and stayed silent the whole ride.

Eventually, the car pulled into a driveway and parked. Jaemin opened the door and got out of the driver's seat. Seeing this, Areum did the sane and looked at where he had taken her.

"An icecream parlor?"

Jaemin didn't reply and headed into the shop, Areum trailing behind him.

He walked up to the counter, looking at the assortment of icecream flavors through the glass.

Jaemin finally spoke. "What flavor do you want?"

Areum blinked back in surprise, looking into the glass display to view the icecream.

"I'll get vanilla," she chose. Jaemin nodded. "What flavor are you getting? Strawberry? You look like a strawberry icecream kind of guy."

He scoffed and smiled, looking down at her. "Far from it actually. I hate strawberry."

An elderly lady came up to them from behind the counter. "What can I get for you two?"

"One vanilla and one mango, please," Jaemin replied.

"You want that in a cone or bowl?"

"Bowl." They both answered.

The woman smiled and began scooping the icecream.

Realization hit Areum. "Oh, Jaemin. I don't have money on me..."

"It's alright, I'll pay."

Areum smiled to show her gratitude.

"Think of it as part of your payment for letting me pick your costume." Jaemin smiled cheekily, getting out a few bills and placing it on the counter

Areum's smile faded and she glared at him.

"Here you both go," the lady said, placing the icecream on the counter.

They both grabbed their icecream and were about to walk away before the lady said something, "you know, you two make a good couple."

"Oh no, ma'am, we're not a couple." Areum explained.

The lady looked at Areum's halo and then to Jaemin's horns. She nodded unconvinced, "if you say so darling."

"Come on," Jaemin said, walking to a booth near the window.

The two sat down across from each other, taking a spoonful of their icecream and eating it.

Areum looked down at her icecream, stirring it around with the spoon as flashbacks from the party ran through her head and the feeling of embarrassment started to eat her up. Despite eating the icecream, her throat felt dry and her stomach was twisting to the point where she felt sick.

Her feelings were hurt and her heart ached as she recalled Renjun's words:
"You're not the girl who I'm asking to be my girlfriend."
"I specifically said not Choi Areum because I know she has feelings for me."

Tears started gathering in her eyes and she quickly blinked them away- she didn't want to cry in public. Especially in front of Jaemin.

"Areum?"

She looked up at Jaemin.

"Are you okay?"

Those three simple words were enough to make Areum's tears fall down her cheeks and she immediately covered her face.

Her quiet crying turned into sobs as she thought over and over again about Renjun rejecting her. The pain in her heart almost unbearable.

Is this what love is?