24

To lighten up Areum's mood, Jaemin decided to take her to the theaters to see the movie she has been dying to see.
Areum skipped towards the building. "I'm so excited!"

Jaemin smiled. "Cute."

Jaemin bought a bucket of popcorn for them to share after receiving puppy eyes from Areum and they both went into the theater, sitting in their seats.

Halfway through the movie, Jaemin watched as the protagonist parted from her lover, bidding a sad farewell.
He heard sniffling. Jaemin looked to his left and through the darkness, he saw Areum crying.

He stifled a laugh. "Are you crying?"

"No." She wiped her tears with the back of her hands. "I just forgot to blink and my eyes got dry."

"Uhuh, sure." He placed his hand on top of hers and lightly rubbed his thumb against her skin, trying to comfort her. "It's just a movie you know."

Areum didn't notice his hand because she was so focused on the big screen in front of her. "But it's so SAD." She sniffled again.

A few minutes passed and that's when Areum finally calmed down. She noticed her hand a bit warmer than usual and looked down, surprised to see Jaemin's hand still on top of hers.
She silently thanked that it was dark so that Jaemin wouldn't see her probably now red face.
Her heartbeat quickened, and she felt warm and fuzzy inside. A small flurry of butterflies starting to stir in her stomach.

Jaemin was hesitant. But after a moment he gathered the courage to slip his hand under hers. Areum's breathe hitched slightly as she felt his fingers intertwine with hers.
At this point she was no longer focusing on the movie at all. Her attention was on their intertwined hands and she could feel herself melting inside at the contact.

A couple minutes later the movie ended, and that's when their hands broke apart.

"How did you like the movie? I thought it was pretty good." Jaemin asked, standing up.

Areum stood up aswell. "O-oh, I thought it was pretty good too."

The both of them headed towards Jaemin's car and got in. Areum's mind was still lingering at the thought of holding Jaemin's hand and she couldn't help but let curiosity get the best of her.

"Jaemin?"

"Hm?" He started the car.

"Did that... mean anything?"

He looked at her. "Did what mean anything?" Jaemin already knew what she was going to ask, but he just wanted to hear it directly from her.

Areum bit her lip and hesitated. "Us holding hands... did that mean anything?"

Did it mean anything?
To Jaemin it meant everything. He almost couldn't contain the fireworks going off inside him as he held her hand. He didn't know what came over him to do it, but at that moment it felt right.

But despite his happiness there was one thing holding him back:
Renjun.

"No, it didn't mean anything."

Areum's heart sank. "Oh, okay. I was just making sure."

Jaemin pursed his lips and then backed out of the parking lot, driving back to their university.
Areum sat there in the passenger seat, feeling hurt and rejected.

She mentally laughed. Of course, why would Jaemin have feelings for someone like me? He's probably into girls like Hyunjin.

On the other hand, Jaemin's grip on the wheel grew tighter as he drove. It didn't sit right with him that he lied about his answer.
But the thought that Areum was still in love with his best friend was holding him back. He wasn't ready to fall in love with someone who's heart belongs to someone else.

⭒☆━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━☆⭒

a/n: I'm sorry if this feels rushed:( I feel like Jaemin's feelings came out of nowhere.

I'm kind of losing inspiration/motivation to continue writing this book. Looking back, I realize that my ideas for this story have a lot of holes, and it's something I'm not very happy with.
I'll continue writing and finishing this story, but don't expect anything too amazing haha. It is also my first time writing after all.

Thank you so much to everyone who has been reading and supporting this book<3!!