02.

"SIENNA!"

"SIENNA!"

The incessant pounding on my apartment door accompanied by the ear-piercing tone sharp enough to wake the dead rudely yanked me out from the depths of sleep.

Apparently, I was deep in the midst of a bizarre dream where I was teaching penguins how to dance the tango but none of that mattered now when my door was seconds away from getting pulled right off its hinges by none other than my notorious landlady who I owed three months worth of rent.

And it wasn't that I didn't want to pay her. If I could save myself from the humiliation and harassment I would but right now, it was the case of not having the means to.

I was broke. Point simple. And I know it seemed a little off for a 25-year-old nursing graduate to have no job and live off canned noodles but hear me out, there was a perfectly good explanation.

"SIENNA BARDOT?!"

Shit.

"I KNOW YOU'RE IN THERE!"

"DON'T PLAY GAMES WITH ME SIENNA!"

I got up and looked around. My first thought was to wait it out. I considered ignoring her, pretending I wasn't home. She usually exhausted her breath after a few minutes, but the knocking grew louder and more insistent, each thud echoing in my ears like a drumbeat of impending doom.

And then the ominous jingle of keys resounded, making my heart skip several beats.

"I'M COMING IN!"

No.

Panic surged through me. I should've hidden but jumping out of the window seemed a better option because my apartment, more cramped than a sardine can, offered no hiding spots.

Shit. Shit.

The floor felt like a popsicle convention as I bolted towards the door. My options for convincing her were as limited as my chances of having a good life. Mrs. Fitz wasn't a pleasant listener. She was as friendly as fire ants and didn't give a rat's ass about anyone. But I had no choice.

Just as I reached for the handle, it swung inward, nearly taking me out like a wave. I gasped and recoiled but as my cruel fate would have it, I slipped on a rogue sock and somehow found myself on the floor.

"I knew you were in here." Mrs. Fitz, dressed like she was ready for a courtroom showdown snapped as she stormed in, her disapproving gaze sweeping over my chaotic apartment like a detective assessing a crime scene.

"Mrs Fitz!" I gleamed, frantically trying to gather my thoughts as I scrambled to my feet. "It's so good to see you. I'm so sorry, I had my EarPods in and didn't hear you knocking. How are you?"

"I do not have the time of day to exchange pleasantries with you, Sienna," Her voice was sharp, and her eyes bore into mine with a piercing intensity. "Rents past due and I can't let you continue to treat my apartment complex like a charity house."