two.

outer space / carry on 5 seconds of summer
"i was running back to you."

"ill teach you how to live," he stated simply as our eyes met once more. "how to really live."

"what do you mean?" i questioned as my blue eyes searched his.

"im gonna teach you how to live," he told me as his dimples began to show again, "everything youve never done before, ill show you how to do."

i just laughed at him, "no way, my mom would kill me!"

"thats the thing!" he said, "you have to learn to live without constantly worrying about her expectations. instead, learn to worry about your own."

we sat silently as i pondered what he said. what truly was the worse that could happen? i cant spend my whole life only living the life she wants for me.

"okay," i broke the silence, watching the light appear in his eyes. "but 1 rule."

"good god, i didnt know we were gonna have rules," he rolled his eyes.

"its one rule!" i said quietly.

"what is it?" he whispered back giving me the confidence i needed to tell him.

"i just dont want to do anything i cant undo," i explained.

"what does that mean?" he asked.

"just nothing permanent or illegal. i dont want to do something ill regret."

"hmm," he leaned back on his hands, "that kinda limits my options, dont ya think?"

"ill do whatever you want, as long as it doesnt break that rule," i explained to him.

"okay," he said. "you ready to live, yellow?"

"im ready to live, yellow."

——

we spent so long talking, we honestly lost track of time. we talked about our favorite colors and how different america was from aussie. we talked about music and the constellations, well, we talked about music but i talked about constellations and he nodded along.

we talked for almost 2 hours when i finally looked down at my phone and saw the time plastered across the screen 3:02.

"shit," i let out under my breath. he was still talking about the song he wrote that he finally remembered when i began talking about space.

"what?" he stopped his sentence to ask.

"its past 3, i need to get home before my mom get back," i said as i began to throw my leg back over the wall onto solid ground.

"okay," he said standing up, waiting for me.

it was only now that i realized how much bigger he truly was from my small stature. i had to physically look up just to see his face.

he started to walk but stopped when i didnt follow.

"what are you doing?" i asked, slowly stepping up to him.

"im gonna walk you home," he said simply, his hands in his pockets.

"i can walk myself back, i got myself here," i told him, starting to walk in front of him.

"yeah, but my mum raised me better than to let a woman walk home alone," he explained as he caught up beside me.

i tried to stay in front of him as i walked, only to make sure he didnt see the smile on my face and the red flushing to my cheeks.

——

"so what do you think of aussie so far?" he asked as we were about half way through our walk back.

i sighed, "as much as i wish i was still at home, i dont hate it. the people are nice so far, im just hoping school goes okay."

"what school are you starting at?" he asked.

"the local one around here, i think? my mom said it was called bluefont? or something like that?"

"bleumont high, you mean?" he questioned.

"yeah, that one i think," i said back to him.

"thats the one i go to," he told me.

"really?" i began to shiver as i wrapped my arms tighter around myself as we continued to walk.

"yeah," he said beginning to shake off the flannel he had over his hoodie. "so at least youll know someone when you start?"

"yeah, at least i wont be alone," i replied as i felt a fabric drape over my shoulders, "thank you."

he just smiled to say youre welcome.

we continued to talk as we walked back to my new home. he filled me in on how the school worked. its a lot like american school actually, same heirachy for the most part but the american football jocks are australian soccer jocks.

and hes an australian soccer jock. although he didnt act like the typical american jock i knew.

i was smiling at the story he was telling me about as i stopped walking to turn into my sidewalk. he stopped to as he noticed my departure.

"this you?" he asked as i stood at the end of my sidewalk facing him.

"yep," i said turning around to look at the grey house behind me. it wasnt huge, enough for my mom and i but it was nice.

i turned back around to face him, "thank you for walking me back," i said with a small smile.

"how far do you have to walk for your house? i could drive you?" i asked.

"oh, im not far," he told me with a smile, "we passed it not far back."

"oh okay," i said as my smile wilted away. i let out a small "oh" as i realized i was still wearing his flannel and began to pull it off my arms.

"oh no," he stopped me. "just keep it."

"you sure?" i said as i slowly began to pull it back on.

"yeah, youre gonna need. i wouldnt want you getting cold when youre supposed to be living," he told me with a small smile.

i crickled my eyebrow as to what that was supposed to mean danced around in my head. i finally shook my head as i prepared to turn back for my house.

"well, thank you again for walking me home. good night," i said as i turned back for my house.

"good night, yellow," he spoke as i turned for my front door.

i put my key in the knob and turned it when i heard the voice from behind me call.

"hey, yellow?" he called. i turned around to see him standing in the exact same place.

"yeah?" i called back, pushing my door open.

"whats your name?"

"clairo. clairo evans."

"ashton iriwn."