thirty six.

dandelions ruth b.
"ive heard of a love that comes once in a lifetime and im pretty sure that you are that love of mine."

i didnt mean to say it when i did.

id completely forgot that she was drunk when she first said it and wouldnt remember we had.

but she said it back.

and she wasnt drunk this time.

i set her down as we reached coach on the sidelines.

"irwin!" he called to me. "you did it!"

he gave me a pat on the back. "well, couldnt have done it without my team, and you two," i said pointing to both coaches.

"thats why were here," coach replied. "all honesty, im so proud of every single one of you," coach continued looking back to the team. "no team at this school has ever won the district title. mates, you just made history! and weve never once had a girl on our team, coach or player, so thats history too! every step you just left on that field is history. mates, look around. every single one of you are history."

we all started cheering as coach continued to speak.

clairo started handing out our individual metals as coach continued talking. "so you each get a metal for being distinct champs, including you clairo since youre part of this team. but treasure these. you are the first bleumont high kids to ever have won one."

"and i am so proud of you all," clairo said as coach began running out of words.

"we couldnt have done it without you, clairo," mikey said from the other side of the circle around coach.

"i wouldnt be here without all of you," she told him, trying to avoid looking at me since we both knew who she was talking about.

"to us," i said, putting my hand into the center of the circle.

all the boys piled their hands into the center on top of mine, starting out school chant.

"bleumont!" we all finished the chant at once, throwing our hands up out of the circle. we all started congratulating eachother as we collected our stuff off the sidelines.

clairo walked back to the locker room hand-in-hand with me, leaning her head against my arm.

"im so proud of you," she said again as we walked behind the rest of the team.

"im proud of you too," i told her, looking down at her. "you just made history too."

"but i wouldnt have without you," she nuzzled farther into my arm, holding my hand tighter.

"but i wouldnt have without you," i explained to her.

she used my arm trying to hide her smile, but it didnt work too well. i caught it.

"youre so gorgeous, you know that right?" i let slip as i started at her.

"god," she shook her head as her cheeks grew red.

we broke apart as we reached the locker room. i walked to my locker, listening to all the guys celebrating inside.

as i entered, their celebrations grew louder.

"ashton!" the team called as i walked in.

"that goal was fire!" luke said as i walked to my locker.

"the one you got first was pretty fire too," i told him packing my bag.

"hey! i got a whole two assists!" calum called from across the room.