thirty nine.

you and me lifehouse
"and i dont know why i cant keep my eyes off of you."

we spent the rest of the night talking around the fire place until the fire burnt out.

were like family. we never ran out of things to say.

we were just happy to be together.

once we all grew tired and decided to go home, i carried clairo back to the car as she held her present in her hand. the other boys carried all the other stuff back to the cars, saying goodbye before parting ways.

i drove us home quietly as clairo stared out the window, watching as the waves crashed along the shore line.

"what are you looking at, yellow?" i asked, letting out a small chuckle.

she rolled her head over to look at me, her eyes glowing against the moonlight. "the waves," she smiled. "ive always loved the ocean," she said rolling back to look out the window.

"its fascinating how the moon controls the tide," she started rambling. "and how all the oceans are connected. and the waves never stop anywhere. they crash on every beach, even when no ones watching. they travel thousands of miles through the ocean to crash on a beach no ones at."

she looked back over to me, seeing my smile. "what?" she asked, confused, starting to smile too.

"i just love how your mind works," i told her, looking back to the road.

"and i love you," she told me below her breath.

"i love you too," i whispered back.

"can i stay with you tonight? i dont want to go home," she asked quietly, almost ashamed.

"of course," i said excited. "just let your mom know so she doesnt get mad."

"yay!" i heard her say quietly. she sounded excited but almost shy.

i watched her phone illuminating her face as she texted her mom.

"she said be safe, but i told her im at lukes so she doesnt get suspicious im always at yours," clairo told me.

"smart," i replied to her, moving my hand from the stick shift to her leg. "i missed you."

"i missed you more," clairo said.

i continued driving home the same way wed come, watching as clairo looked out the window to the stars. i loved watching the way the moon danced across her face, illuminating her freckles.

"hey ash?" she finally spoke up beside me, pulling my attention back to her.

"hmm?" i hummed back as i continued looking at the road in front of me.

i watched her shift in her seat, obviously nervous to say whatever she was about to. it honestly confused me, wed spoken about just about everything at this point. she had no reason to be scared.

"does it ever bother you that ive never like-" she said quietly, stopping herself to think of the right work to say. "like done anything?"

"you mean does it bother me that youre a virgin?" i asked back, confused.

i watched her head nod slightly as the embarrassment flooded her cheeks again. i let out the smallest laugh, completely dumbfounded that she would actually think it would.

"are you serious?" i asked her, genuinely confused at this point.

"well, yeah," she said, her voice sounding small. "like ive never done anything with you more than like kiss and you put your finger down for losing your virginity so i know you know theres more than what ive given you."