thirty two.

ophelia the lumineers
"heaven help a fool who falls in love."

ash drove me home the same way we always did. the car was filled with laughs and smiles as we belted the lyrics to out favorite songs.

when we got to my house, i dreaded going back to my bubble just like i always did. ashton knew that was going through my head too.

"ill be here monday morning, 7:30, so i can take you to school," he told me as i stalled having to get out of his car.

out of our bubble.

——-

i woke up monday morning still on my call with ashton.

i groaned as my alarm began going off, reaching over to shut it off.

"good morning, yellow," i heard ashtons voice through the phone.

"yeah, good morning," i said annoyed. i guess when my mom recommended starting to wake up earlier for a couple days before school started, i probably should have listened.

"it is a good morning! i get to see you in 30 minutes," ashton sounded chirpy on the other end.

"yeah, im excited to see you," i told him as i began to stretch. "im not excited to go to school."

"ill be there too. itll be okay," ashton assured me.

"yeah, i hope so," i said beginning to get up, remaking my bed.

"ill see you in 20 minutes, okay?" ashton said as i began to hear keys jingle on his end.

"okay," i said walking over to my bathroom.

"bye yellow," he said as a door closed on his end.

"see ya yellow," i said back as i set my phone down, letting him hang up.

i started getting ready, putting on the same default jeans and band tee. i put my hair in a half-up half-down, pulling out strands to frame my face. i put on minimal makeup. i didnt truly have anyone to impress.

i unlocked my phone for the time as i picked up my backpack. 7:23.

i started out my room and towards the kitchen when i saw my mom.

"you ready for your first day?" she sounded more excited than me.

"no," i told her simply.

"well thats not the right answer for an american girl about to experience aussie school for the first time? most people will kill for an experience like this," she told me.

"then im excited," i hoped my answer would shut her up.

"good. how are you getting there? you already missed the bus," she asked.

"ashtons taking me," i explained as i walked farther into the kitchen to grab a banana.

"and hes bringing you home?" she continued to question.

"yeah, once hes off of soccer practice. im just gonna wait for him," i told her, rounding up my last minute stuff.

"oh okay," she sighed. "theres been a car out there but it might be the neighbors."