forty one.

beside you 5 seconds of summer
"when we both fall asleep underneath the same sky to the beats of our hearts at the same time."

four weeks later, the boys gig rolled around.

i helped them all carry their instruments into the venue, more excited for them than they are.

"what songs are you going to play?" i asked as i set down their guitar cases.

"uh, we only have a three song time frame," ashton explained as he put together his drum kit.

the rest of the boys were outside grabbing the rest of the stuff. i walked over towards ashton to help him.

"so what three are you going to do?" i asked, leaning down beside him.

"well, only reason, your song, and beside you, which is one you havent heard yet," ashton explained as he put on the last couple pieces.

"im excited to listen," i smiled as i stood up, moving to sit on the drum seat, watching as he checked all the last minute things.

"hit that foot peg to make sure it works," ashton asked, pointing towards the floor.

i looked down for the peg, pushing my foot on it, watching as it caused the thingy to hit the drum.

i laughed as i did it again, ashtons dimples becoming visible as he watched me. "you like that?" he asked, giggling.

"yeah!" i continued laughing, hitting it a couple more times. "give me the sticky things!"

"dont break them. i kinda need it," he said, grabbing the sticks off the floor and handing them to me.

"i wont," i told him, grabbing the the sticks from him.

i hit the drums a couple times, pushing the foot pegs as i went. i wasnt creating any sort of rhythm, rather just messing about, but i couldnt stop the happiness flooding through my veins.

"careful ashton," luke said as all the other three boys walked back in to the room. "she might take your place in the band."

"and she can write too," ash said as i stopped the symbol with my hand. "i really do have to watch out."

he was still smiling down at me as the rest of the boys set down their stuff, beginning to set up.

"okay, clairo, go sit in the front row so you can tell us how it sounds," calum said as i stood up from ashs drum set.

i walked down the stage and sat at one of the tables, waving at the bartender as i went.

"okay, can you hear the mic?" luke asked me, talking into the microphone.

"yeah, i can," i nodded to them.

"and are the guitars too loud?" mikey said as he and calum strummed their guitar and bass.

"turn it down just a little and youll be good," i told them.

"does my mic work?" ash asked as his voice radiated through the speakers.

"yeah, it does. dont know why they made it that way," calum said through his.

"hey, hey, hey," ashton started. "they gave you one so why cant i?"

i laughed at them as they fought back and forth through the microphones.

"are we going to do this soundcheck or not? they open the doors in 20 minutes," mikey said cutting off the other two.

"yeah. what song?" luke said looking around.

"disconnected!" i yelled from my table.

"okay," luke said laughing. "crowd request."