1

God you hated running.

Your legs felt stiff and weak, and each time your bare foot slapped against the pavement a stinging sensation shot up your body.

The air was cold, it burned your lungs with each breath you took. You didn't have time to dwell on the fact that the last time you had been outside it had been warm and bright. On the day that everything had changed...

"No," you thought to yourself, now was not the time to fall into those memories.

You had to focus on getting somewhere safe, your absence would be noticed any minute now.

The chains that bound your hands were quite an inconvenience. Without them, you could be far away by now, but there was no time to stop and attempt to remove them. All you could do was run.

The hour must have been late because the streets and sidewalks were completely deserted. All of the buildings had their shutters pulled down and their doors locked. There was no one there to help you.

Even if there had been people around, you would have refused to put anyone's life at risk by asking for their assistance.

Your eyes stung and each breath you took was more painful than the last. You certainly were not dressed for this kind of weather.

Up ahead you spotted something that looked like a forest.

Good, maybe I can find cover there.

You pushed yourself harder, refusing to slow down.

Much to your dismay, you realized that the trees were on some sort of mountain. You cursed silently and began the trek uphill.

After what felt like hours, you allowed yourself a break. You slouched against a tree and attempted to catch your breath. Tears threatened to spill from your eyes, the reality of your situation becoming clear in your mind. Then you heard voices, soft at first but seemed to be getting closer.

No, they couldn't have caught up to me so fast.

Panic began to course through your veins. You forced yourself up and ran as fast as you could.

You felt the prick of thorns, the scratch of branches, and dark spots danced before your eyes.

And then you spotted it, a large building surrounded by a massive wall. Although it was faint you swore you could see a light flickering through one of the windows.

A gate, there's gotta be some sort of entrance. You ran alongside the wall until you saw the large gate towering before you. It was locked.

No longer caring about noise, you rammed your shoulder into it, over and over until you swore you had broken something.

You tried, you continued pushing with all the strength left in your body, but the gate refused to budge.

Everything you'd done had been for nothing, your first chance to escape and somehow you'd messed it up.

They were going to take you back.

Your consciousness was fading, the pain and exhaustion in your body continued to grow.

The voices moved closer, and your back slumped against the cool metal. The last thing you saw before blacking out, was a shadowed figure moving towards you.

————————
I am so excited that I finally started this. This is the first fic I've ever written so there's a very good chance there will be some errors and things, but it will all be revised eventually haha.
This fic is literally based on a story I've been making up in my head for MONTHS so I have soooo many chapters in the works.

Edit: For those of you new here I wanted to just say that I promise this gets better in the next few chapters. I did not expect this to do so well and I'm so thankful! but don't let the first like three chapters get you down because I promise the writing and the plot get a lot better. thanks for taking your time to read this!! <3