⤜Eighteen▻

"It hurts, but it's okay. I'm used to it," 

"It was him," Steve stared down at the ground as he sat with metal cuffs around his wrists, "he looked at me like he didn't even know me,"

Natasha blankly looked off in the distance as she tried to brace herself through the pain. 

"How is it even possible?" Sam speaks up from beside Natasha, "it was, like 70 years ago,"

Natasha's eyes shifted as she looked at the blonde man. She knew why he had lived so long, it was the cyrofreeze. The Winter Soldier was Aurora's mentor when she was 13 which was strange knowing what she meant to him now. The Soldier and assassin in training became good friends not long after but were split off fearing that as Aurora would grow feelings would develop. However, no amount of separation could keep them apart. Natasha never knew the name of the soldier before but now she did. 

His name was James Buchanan Barnes. 

Bucky as everyone called him. 

He and Steve were childhood friends she found out after doing some research. So he was human once. He did have a personality way back when he was just a boy. He was kind, loving and protective. All those things he had brought with him to HYDRA can be seen when he looks at Aurora. Oh, how beautiful their relationship would be if they weren't pulled up in HYDRA. But naturally, they would have to hide it. Natasha wished she had the same. 

Aurora still deserved more. She deserved to have a family and a partner. She deserved to know that her family still want her and are looking. No matter how much the soldier tried Aurora still had nothing just like him. 

"Zola," Steve finally realized breaking Natasha out of her thoughts, "Bucky's whole unit was captured in 43. Zola experimented on him. Whatever he did helped Bucky survive the fall," 

Natasha stared off into space listening to the words her friend had just said, "None of this is your fault, Steve," 

The supersoldier looked at Natasha before his mind wondered to Aurora. Aurora was Bucky's and Bucky was Aurora's. He should have realized that Bucky would never leave Aurora because Steve wouldn't either. Steve couldn't believe that Bucky had fallen in love with the daughter of Jean Grey. 

Steve has failed again. The first time was when Bucky fell from the train to his death. Now he had failed to bring both Bucky and Aurora to salvation. Now his one and only mission were to bring his friends to safety. 

Steve looked off to the side thinking back, "Even when I had nothing, I had Bucky," 

The pain continues to throb at Natasha's shoulder where Bucky had shot her. She squeezes her eyes shut and leans her head back on the side of the truck the three were being held in. After Bucky and Aurora disappeared Rumlow and his STRIKE team showed up and arrested them. They had no idea where they were being taken and frankly they didn't want to know.