Chapter 27

Celia's P.O.V

It seemed to have been morning already when I jolted to the sound of heckling and shouts close by the tent. My head was buried deeply into the pillow and my body felt drained of all energy. I could still feel the constriction of my hands being bound together by the itchy rope but I managed to push myself up. Conner was no longer next to me and neither was his jacket that he had wrapped around me the night before. The sun was peeking through the flaps at the front of the tent as people walked by busy at work. A few minutes later a blurry figure had come in to grab some things that were laying on the ground. Even though I couldn't see well without my glasses it wasn't hard to tell that the figure was Conner when he noticed I was awake.

"Well good morning." Conner walked over to me, kneeling down in front and reached up to brush some hair away from my face.

Before he could I brought up my bound hands to redirect his hand's path away from me.

He only sighed and kept his hand back, knowing that I was being stubborn, "Did you sleep okay?"

"As good as a hostage can I guess." There was some more loud shouting outside and rustling which redirected my attention, "What's going on?"

"We are moving our camp further into the forest so I hope you are up for some walking later." Conner stood up and grabbed some things to put them away.

"Wait, why? What's wrong with this place?"

"Because there is still cell reception out here. We picked this spot originally so we could make that call to Noah and warn him if he tries to come looking for you. Now that he knows you're here we have to move before they try to find us and attack."

"Maybe that wouldn't be such a bad thing." I mumble to myself.

Conner chuckled, overhearing what I had said, "Of course you would think that but that won't happen."

"Noah will find a way to get to me."

Conner came back to me, crouching down and grabbing onto my hands to pull me closer so that we were eye to eye, "That's what we're counting on."

He placed a kiss to my forehead then left the tent again to help his goons clean up camp. It was still so strange, Conner acting so calm, so normal, while I sat in the middle of a tent tied up while basically being used as a piece of bait for Noah to come after. It broke my hear to know that he was no longer himself anymore, no longer that best friend I could lean onto anytime I needed. I knew I had to get out of here and return back to Noah. I didn't want to leave Conner but I had to at this point.

It felt like forever as I laid back into the sleeping bag I was in, just staring up at the blurry roof of the tent when Conner came back in to clean up some more things. From my obvious body language he could already tell I was being stubborn today, starting my silent treatment early but he didn't care as he scooped me up in his arms.

"What are you doing?!" I moved my arms over his head so that I had something to hold onto, "Put me down!"

"I will outside. I need to move you so that we can take the tent down." He explained, walking out with me in his arms outside.

The morning air felt fresh against my skin and the light around the trees was relaxing for the morning. The hunters that were stalking around were cleaning up what was leftover of the camp, getting rid of anything that could give someone a clue that anyone was here. Conner took me over to a log that had fallen on the ground and set me down on it as a temporary seat.

"We will get moving shortly."

"Great." I grumble, rubbing my eyes to get them used to the light when I remembered something was missing, "Can I have my glasses back?"