13

You ran to your mother, she had collapsed on the ground, blood stained the front of her shirt.

She grabbed your hand, "No, take your brother and run... please."

"What's going on?!"

"Honey they're here for you, I'm so sorry I didn't think they would find us so soon. Please just listen to me and get as far away from here as possible."

Kyron ran to where the two of you were. "wheres my mom?"

You looked toward the house, and then to your mom. "I'm gonna save her, I can beat those guys alright. I'll be right back I promise, and then we'll get you help."

"No!"

But you had already begun running towards the house. 

You cautiously peered inside from the doorway. Objects were strewn across the floor, but there was no sign of any villains around.

Although your mom had said that they were here for you, you began to wonder if it had been a simple robbery. You couldn't see anyone, maybe your stepmom had managed to render them unconscious. 

You stepped inside and allowed flames to lick up your arms. 

You stepped around the glass shards and puddles of water, looking into the living room you scanned for any signs of a hidden attacker. But there were none.

You heard a noise coming from your parents' room, and made your way towards it.

Looking through the doorway you saw almost no signs of a struggle, on the floor to the right of the bed though, was your stepmother. It looked like she had been knocked unconscious. 

Making sure there was nobody else in the room you ran forward and kneeled over her. You shook her arm and tried to pick her up, but it didn't work. Focusing on the puddles in the kitchen you managed to pull a small amount of water into your hands, and splashed her face.

Her eyes opened slowly and she blinked a few times. Relief coursed through your body.

"Come on we have to go, Mom's hurt. She looked around the room, and her expression turned panicked. You created a ball of fire in your hand and turned to where she was looking. A dark shadow began forming, it almost looked like some kind of... vortex? And then a man stepped through. You immediately hurtled the fire towards him, and as it was about to hit its target a voice came from behind you. 

"Be careful, playing with fire can be quite dangerous." 

Before you could fully turn around the attacker grabbed your arms and locked something cold around your wrists. 

You turned, prepared to hit him with the full force of your power. But there was nothing there, it felt as though your energy was being sucked from your body along with your power. 

"What the hell?!"

The man laughed "I wouldn't recommend trying to use your power. It will only end in failure." 

Another vortex opened, and a man stepped through. He was dressed in black and seemed to be covered in human hands. Real fear began to course through your veins. You needed to warn Kyron, make him run like he had wanted to in the first place.

The man walked over to your stepmother and reached his arm out. But before he made contact you heard footsteps speeding towards you.

"Get away from them!" Kyron yelled as he jumped in front of his mother. But the man grabbed him by the face, and your brothers' flesh began to change, it slowly started to peel off and quickly spread over his whole body.