°2 *

Flashback - 2 years prior

I woke to the sing-song voice of my father "Wake up sleepyhead! If you want to come with me, you need to get up." Sitting up with a groan I called back to him that I was coming. I didn't move though. I just sat on my bed with my eyes closed, seconds away from falling back into my dreams. "Sophia... I'm going to leave you here, and I don't want to hear you complaining later!" These were the words that made me move. I hated being left home alone, even at 17.

Crawling out of bed, I grab the clothes I had set out last night. Taking a quick shower and brushing my teeth, I'm ready in a short time. I make sure I have everything I'll need for the day, and run downstairs hoping my Dad didn't leave yet. "Dad! I'm sorry!! I'm ready now!!" I run toward the front door to stop short at his voice coming from behind me. "I knew that would get you moving. Aren't you going to grab something to eat?"

I pick up an apple and show it to him, smiling. "I can eat more when we get there. We're going to that Korean restaurant, aren't we?" Dad laughed at me, knowing if he tried to refuse me, I'd whine all day. "Yes Sophia. We'll go there for dinner. Now, let's go before we're late." I happily hopped down our front steps to the car.

As I was about to get in the passenger seat, Dad asked me why I didn't drive this time. I had just passed my license exam, and loved driving, so I jumped up and down when he tossed me his keys saying "I get to choose the music though." I agreed and after buckling in, started the car. He reached over and ruffled my hair. I looked at his suddenly sad face, confused by his action until he said "You look more and more like your mother every day... Beautiful."

Looking away from him, I backed out of the driveway to get on our way. I appreciated the compliment but not the comparison. My mother left us 12 years ago. She chose to listen to her parents, and run back to them. After years of being told she would never be happy here, even though we were, she gave in to them. My Dad still loves her. In fact he tries to defend her every time I get mad about being abandoned by her.

Not long after she left, we got the notice that she'd been arranged to marry a man of her family's choosing. I didn't understand how she could marry a person she didn't love. Dad tried to explain the tradition, and the business benefits to these kinds of things. I was just pissed. My father had money, and came from a good family, but she didn't marry him. I still don't understand why not.

My parents met in their first year of college, and fell in love. They found out very quickly that I was on the way, and Dad was excited. Mom... I don't think she wanted me. She even made an appointment to get rid of me. I know only because I overheard an argument they had before she ran back home, leaving us behind. "I'm sorry Sophia. I shouldn't have mentioned her."

Hearing the sadness in his voice I felt guilty. I should learn to control my facials better. "It's okay Dad. I know she's beautiful, so I appreciate the compliment." I let myself smile to try and bring up his mood again. "Come on Dad... Play some music, or I'll choose." He laughed at me and turned on the radio, choosing an oldies station and singing along.

We arrived at the small airport and drove to the hangar. Dad got out to start his pre-flight check and I walked over to the office to file our flight plan. We used to do this trip often, but after my grandparents passed away, we only go every couple months. I get excited to be in the air with my Dad. It always feels so freeing to soar through the air above the clouds. He's been flying since he was just a teenager, when his Dad would bring him along on small business trips.

When everything is ready, we climb in to the plane, and get ready. Dad gets clearance from the tower to taxi to the runway and we start to move. I plug one of my airpods in to listen to some music and not disturb my Dad. He's communicating back and forth with the tower, and needs to concentrate. I drift into my own mind to the times before when we would visit my grandparents.