°4 *

Jimin finally called me back last night. I asked him to meet me tonight, and now I just have to get through the day. I could hear the curiosity over the phone line, but I gave nothing away. I don't know what his feeling is about being arranged, and I want to get a genuine reaction, not something practiced.

Jimin and I grew up together in Busan. Our families ran in the same circles, and we became great friends. When college finished, we went different ways. We're both in Seoul, but he's working as a powerful businessman, and I'm a simple teacher. I remember how he reacted when I told him my life plan. He was always supportive as my friend, but I knew he thought I was crazy.

Walking in to school this morning, I avoid eye contact with everyone. I'm tired. I have so many things to fix and I'm scared I won't be able to."Excuse me. Mr. Jeon? Could I speak to you for a moment?" Looking up I see a Seo-yeon I don't recognize. She's looking down not meeting my eyes. There's no arrogance or even confidence. What game is she playing now?

"What is it Miss Lee?" She looks up at me in a shy way that I don't buy for a second. "Could we perhaps step into your classroom? It's private." I sigh in frustration, but lead the way. When we enter the room, I make my way to set my bag down and remove my jacket."I'm waiting... What do you need?"

"I wanted to ask you why you are so against being arranged to me..." I scoff at her question and turn to look at her with a wry smile. "Miss Seo-yeon, I've been clear with you on many occasions that I'm not interested in you that way. I don't know why you would accept an arrangement with someone who will never love you." I see a flicker of hurt from her, but she covers it well. "You might grow to love me Mr. Jeon. It happens with many arranged couples."

"This is true... it does happen... But it won't in our case Seo-yeon. You should accept that, and deny to your family." I can sense her frustration, and I rather enjoy it since her little innocent act is beginning to falter. "Now... Is there anything else you need? If not, then I need to prepare for class." I turn my back to her, and start my laptop.

I hear the door open and I turn, only to be met with a pair of lips attached to mine. I hear a gasp, and a whimper. My eyes fly to the door to see her red hair spinning away and I push Seo-yeon harshly, sending her to the floor. I run to the door and see Sophia's retreating back, and I sprint after her. These misunderstandings have got to stop.

I see her turn a corner, and I run faster. Sliding into the corner, I turn and find her crouched in a corner at the end of the deserted hallway. She has her head between her knees and I see her whole body shaking from the sobs. Taking some calming breaths, I walk slowly to her. "Leave me alone Mr. Jeon. I can't take any more.." saying that she dissolves into more tears.

I sit down next to her and try to organize my thoughts. There are so many things I want to say. Many plans I want to make, but I'm afraid to promise anything until I speak with Jimin. "Sophia... What you saw... Wasn't"

"I don't care! I don't!!" She almost yelled it at me. "Then why are you crying? Hmm?" She is shaking her head vigorously and talking to herself... I can barely hear her at first, but I start to lean forward to understand her words. "stupid...disfigured... fat... ugly... always be alone..." It pains me to hear her words. I reach a hand out and touch her arm only to have her turn away.

"Sophia... Please listen to me... I need a little time... I have so many things I want you to know, but..."

"SHUT UP!! JUST STOP!"

Her scream startles me, but I don't back off. I move closer on my knees, and wrap my arms around her. "shhhhh... I know you are angry and hurt... it was never my intention for that to be the case... i can't stand it that you won't listen to me, but i understand..."