Chapter 12: The Dragon scale

When Zera slowly knocks at the door and suddenly a woman throws a knife at Zera. Luckily Zera was alert and dodged the knife immediately. But Zera didn't notice Mavis was right behind her.

The knife passed right from the side of her right eye causing a small cut on the skin beside her eye.

Zera immediately got worried and ran towards Mavis to check whether she was fine. But Zera forgot the person who attacked was still right there.

The other person took advantage of the situation and grabbed the Axe beside her.

She raises the Axe to kill Zera.

Mavis then uses her magic and throws the rock beside her to hit the vital point of that woman, causing her to faint immediately.

Witnessing the woman faint, a small girl comes running and hugs that woman.

The young girl then begs both Zera and Mavis in tears " Please dear wizards!! Don't hurt my mother!! We don't have enough money to pay. Please, I beg you to let us go!!"

Mavis then moves closer and hugs the girls and says in a comforting and warm tone, "Girl, We aren't here to hurt your family but are here to save you. Don't cry... You are safe...don't worry we won't hurt you.".

 After listening to Mavis's words the little girl hugs her tightly and says "Thank you, Big sis".

The cute reply of the little girl melts both Zera and Mavis's heart.

They both then look at each other and chuckle.

Zera then walks closer towards the little girl and asks her "Little girls, What your name?"

The little girl replies " My mommy told me not to tell my name to strangers.".

All of them fall into laughter.

While Mavis and the little girl laugh together Zera gazes at their smiles.

She then lifts the girl's mother from the ground and places her on the bed.

The little girl then walks towards Zera and pulls a corner of Zera's dress to gain her attention.

Zera then looks down and the girl says "Big sis, My name is Mirajane. I have 2 younger siblings, Elfman and lisanna. They went to the fields to get some vegetables to eat. My mom has an illness and she can't work due to that.".

Zera then kneels down to reach the height of the girl and hugs her and says "Don't worry we are here now."

Mavis then walks in with a small boy and girl who look younger than Mirajane.

Then both of them run towards the bed after seeing their mom.

They shout " MOM, What happened to you?"

Then Mavis says "Shush... Let her sleep. Nothing happened to her, she is just sleeping."

Then Mirajane introduces them "This is brother Elfman and this is my youngest sister Lisanna."

Both Mavis also introduces "Hello, My name Mavis and this is my elder sister Zera."

Lisanna then "Wow! You both are siblings too!!."

Everyone laughs at the cuteness of lisanna.

Suddenly their mother wakes up and says "Thank you for coming here. I am sorry for my rudeness before. I mistook for bandits who came to bully us again."

Mavis then replies "It is fine, you didn't hurt us much anyways. But since when have they been attacking you and why is the village like this?"

Then the woman replies "ALAS...Before the village was beautiful and peaceful. It had beautiful flower gardens and even our crop was always healthy. There was not even a day where we faced disasters. This was due to our village temple, which was built by our ancestors. Many years ago, When the land was ruled by the great dragons, this land was disaster-prone. Most people even called it the land of the cursed. To protect us, they say that the twin imperial dragons left a part of their soul, aka the dragon scale, so that the land here will flourish more than any other land in the entire world. The temple is the place where the dragon scale resides and ever since it was built our village protected the temple with our own lives to thank the dragons for their sacrifice. But 5 years ago, a bunch of dark wizards had come to snatch away the dragon scale to use its power to control this world. Thankfully they were unable to break the strong seal around it. But they did do a little damage to it causing it to create havoc, making the land the same as it was before. Not only can we not grow crops anymore but also our animals have all run mad, that they began to attack us."

Zera and Mavis in great confusion after listening to the story.

So they asked the woman to take them to the temple.

But the woman refused and said " NO! It is too dangerous, ever since that has happened the magic power has gone haywire. You will die if you try to enter!!!"

Then Mavis replies "Ma'am we aren't some normal wizards. Don't worry we can handle anything."

The woman then sighs and says "Very well then. I shall take to the temple. Children stay at home and don't follow us understand."

The three of them begin to walk towards the temple but the closer they went the foggier it got.

On the other side, both lisanna and Elfman start begging Mirajane to allow them to follow them.

But Mirajane refuses.

Suddenly when Mirajane looks away both Elfman and Lisanna run away.

When Mirajane looks back she finds both Elfman and Lisanna are missing.

She then immediately sets off to find Elfman and Lisanna.

To be continued...