Forty Seven

Year 5

Order of the Phoenix

I had managed to find myself wandering in the forest after running into Draco. I shouldn't be mad with him. I know I shouldn't, but I am. He left with nothing but a vague note on my bedside and a crappy apology. A deep pit of rage and anger formed in my stomach as I pulled my coat tighter around me, feeling the slight breeze try and push its way through the material of my clothes. I looked around, feeling a strange vibe, but I pushed it away and continued walking.

I see a vibrant color in the corner of my eye, and I turn my head to the left, seeing tons of dead roses; but one vibrant red one was still standing. I tilt my head to the side, stepping closer until I reached the first dead rose that led to many more. I reach my hand out, seeing the tan on my skin was definitely gone. My hand was pale, but I paid no attention to it as I touched the rose. It was cracked and about to completely fall away, but when I touched it, the petals began lifting upwards; the ruby red filling the rose.

And almost in a blink of an eye, every dead rose began lifting, color returning to them once more. A slight smile made its way onto my face as the roses looked brand new, and smelled fresh. I stood there for a moment before deciding to walk off.

I heard a twig snap behind me, causing me to swing around, prepared for a fight until I sighed in relief, seeing it was just Harry.

"Don't sneak up on me like that." I sigh, turning and continuing to walk.

"Sorry." Harry apologized. "I heard about the--" He suddenly paused, and I turned to look at him, confused about what he was going to say until I saw the same creatures that pulled the carriage were surrounding us.

Looking ahead, I saw Luna petting one of them. We shared a brief look before walking over to her. She suddenly greeted us, "Hello Harry Potter and Y/N Moonlight."

I gave a small smile before glancing down, noticing she was barefoot. I asked, "Your feet. Aren't they cold?"

"Bit." She shrugs, turning to face us before continuing. "Unfortunately, all my shoes have mysteriously disappeared. I suspect Nargles are behind it."

"What are they?" Harry asks, referring to the animal walking away from us.

"They're called Thestrals." Luna answers. "They're quite gentle, really, but people avoid them because they're a bit..."

"Different." I finish for her, spotting a baby Thestral in front of us.

She began walking towards them, leaving us to follow as Harry asks, "But why can't the others see them?"

"They can only be seen by people who've seen death." Luna answers.

"So you've known someone who's died, then?" Harry asks.

"My mum. She was quite an extraordinary witch, but she did like to experiment... and one day, one of her spells went badly wrong. I was 9." Luna explained.

"I'm sorry." I tell her.

"Yes, it was rather horrible." Luna stated. "I do feel very sad about it sometimes, but I've got Dad. We both believe you, by the way. That He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named is back, and you fought him... and the Ministry and the Prophet are conspiring against you."

Harry allowed a faint smile to tug on his lips. "Thanks. It seems you're about the only ones that do."

"I don't think that's true." Luna mentions. "But I suppose that's how he wants you to feel."

I furrow my brows, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. "What do you mean?"

"Well, if I were You-Know-Who... I'd want you to feel cut off from everyone else... because if it's just you two alone... you're not as much of a threat." Luna tells us, giving the necessary information that gave a boost in knowledge.

A/N

So I haven't been publishing chapters on this book, and I feel really bad about that, so here's a short-ish one while I rewatch the movie and continue writing :) -Y.