Chapter 11 - Developement

TW:

Mention of Blood/ Injury

------------------

"So, Will has Tommy begun to develop yet?" Phil questioned as he Niki, and Wilbur moved around the kitchen preparing lunch for everyone in L'manberg (not that that's actually that many people).

"Develop what?" Wilbur questioned glancing over at his father, eyebrows raised before turning back to the carrots he was cutting so he wouldn't injure himself.

"Animalistic features I assume?" Niki piped up "They do tend to develop from ages 15-20, this happened with Fundy remember Wilbur?" Phil nodded at this.

In this world around half the population developed animalistic features, it tended to be passed through bloodlines though, the animal that they take after is completely random. A great example of this is Wilbur, Sally, and Fundy. Despite Wilbur being a normal human with no animalistic blood of his own Sally was part salmon though the random feature of these genetics caused Fundy to become a fox, after Sally and Wilbur broke up Fundy was left with Wilbur as he wasn't a sea creature, if he had been it is most likely that he would have gone with his mother (this literally was made up on the spot to explain why some people are animals and also because Tommy and ✨wings✨)

"Oh, I don't think he has yet?" Wilbur finished cutting the carrots pushing them into a small bowl "Hopefully we don't have a repeat of Fundy- I remember the week where his ears and tail grew in... poor thing was in a lot of pain," Wilbur frowned slightly. Phil was right- Tommy was what? 16 now? It really did depend on if either of his family members were animals or not but the boy refused to talk about his family and Wilbur didn't want to pressure him more than he had already. 

"Mhm, I remember you calling me in a panic when they started growing in... by the time I got here his poor ears were stained in his own blood..." Phil winced slightly at the thought. Though it wasn't uncommon for the process to be painful it was rather saddening to see Fundy's body try to reject these new assets causing his new fox ears to begin bleeding from the inside, "I would love to try and stay to see if he does end up developing but sadly I and Techno are only here for a week," 

"It's okay, we understand-" Niki smiled at Phil while stirring the soup she was making over the stove "The Antarctic Empire is probably going to be a mess when you two are away for only a week- speaking of, how long did it take for you to convince Techno to come? I know he doesn't like to leave for longer periods of time," She giggled slightly at this while Wilbur sighed fingers massaging the crook of his nose in exasperation.

"Not much surprisingly," Phil shrugged "I just kinda said that we were going to visit Wilbur because he fucked up, and his only comment was 'Again?' then he got his stuff and was ready before me." Niki burst out laughing. Wilbur's eyes closed as he put on a forced smile with his front teeth digging into his bottom lip.

"You should really get an official uniform for the empire- I mean, do you really think you're gonna blend into the snow and ice with a bright green robe and a blood-red cape?" Niki commented after she stopped laughing.

"I've proposed the idea many times," Phil said now his turn to look exasperated "But Techno refuses every single time. I will admit when I adopted Wilbur and Techno I didn't think one would be traumatizing children and the other my literal emperor and me a member of his court." 

"Hey!" Wilbur squealed in a child-like manner "I did not traumatize Tommy!" He huffed crossing his arms "I merely- brought up something that traumatized him." Phil made a small hum of agreement drawing another glare from Wilbur.

"Well the soup is done," Niki said changing the topic, "How about Phil goes to look for the others- I don't see them in the back yard with Fundy and Jack anymore... they probably took Techno somewhere," She shrugged "Phil you know your way around I assume?" 

"As long as it hasn't changed too much in 3 months," he shrugged stepping outside and stretching his wings "I'll be back soon- those gremlins can't hide from the wrath of Dadza!" he chuckled menacingly, Wilbur merely rolled his eyes at this as Phil took to the skies.

"How you ended up like this with a dad like him I will never know," Niki commented before walking into the dining room to set the table as Wilbur stared in shock after her.