Chapter 31: A Baseball Match

It was September. Summer was over and the second semester of the school year had started. It was currently the middle of lunch break. Sakura was sitting at the tables and chairs outside the cafeteria with Ayame.

"So, it's already September. Have you thought of what you want to do once we're done here in school?" Ayame asks Sakura.

Hearing the question, Sakura faced forward, remaining silent while drinking the juice box she had, before moving the straw away, "...To be honest, I haven't really thought of it. I mean I haven't thought much of it before...but it seems really different now considering how much has changed."

"Hm?"

"What? What's wrong?"

"Nothing. I was just thinking you'd tell me that you want to spend the rest of your days with Sunohara."

"Eh?" Sakura blushes a deep red and shook her head, "W-What? ...Thinking of something that far is too much for me!!" she said, waving her free left hand rapidly.

"But is it something you've thought of?" Ayame let out playful laugh, "Besides, it's not bad to think in advance."

"...Well, yes. But just because I say something now doesn't mean it'll be final..." Sakura trails off.

"What kind of talk is that? It's sad."

"I don't mean to. I mean many things were said before...but it didn't happen. It's been so many years since I've left home, yet I haven't heard much from Makoto about Dad."

"Ah... Your father. Makoto doesn't really like to speak much about him."

"...That's right. That's why I wonder... Not even my aunt knows what's happened..." Sakura perked up in realization, "...I'm sorry. I brought it up even when you weren't asking about it."

Ayame smiled reassuringly, "I don't mind it at all. What are friends for?"

"Yeah, you're right." Sakura smiles back, and continued, "So since we're talking about after school stuff, what are yours?"

"I'm still planning on continuing my education back in Kawasaki." She replies.

"I see."

"So has your brother said anything to you at all recently?"

"Yeah. I got a message from him when I was heading to school this morning. He was asking me if I had any plans, but still encouraged I have fun."

"It sounds like he just wants you to only play around."

"Sure does sound like it, right?" Sakura went back to drinking her juice. She tilted her head so that she could stare at the sky above her, "...I wonder what the light of my future will be."

"Yo." Sakura heard a voice. Suddenly a face with blonde hair filled up her view.

"Hm?" Sakura's eyes widened, "Wahhh?!" she jerks her body, moving her arms rapidly around, with the result of nearly dropping her beverage, "...Oh, it's you..."

"What's wrong?" He asks, sitting in a chair at the side, next to Ayame.

"...You surprised me."

"What's there to he surprised about?" Sunohara turns to the light brown haired girl, "Were you guys talking about something?"

"Well-"

"Hey!! Don't go shouting it out!" Sakura exclaims, blushing.

"Hehe." Ayame laughs, "It is so interesting to tease you."

"What do you mean?" Sunohara asks.

"Well-"

"Stop! Don't do it!"