Chapter 23

Sitting in the hall of the hospital, Ben gritted his teeth as his hands fisted tightly – Rose crying silently beside him as Armitage paced up and down the narrow hall.

Ben wanted to go on a rampage and obliterate anyone who was associated with the Palpatine family, but he didn't want to leave the hospital in case Rey came out of surgery and wanted him by her side.

"They're going to pay for this," Armitage growled. "I swear I will kill every last one of those fuckers with my bare hands."

Rose whimpered from her spot and immediately Armitage sat next to her to wrap his arms around her as she continued to weep into his chest.

When they first arrived at the hospital, Ben felt numb as they told him the low survival rate for Rey and their child, pleading with anyone that would listen to save them both by any means necessary. Once Rey entered the room for her emergency C-section, he was relieved to hear their rate of survival had risen unexplainably as a healthy baby boy was delivered.

However, after the immediate delivery of their son, Rey's heartbeat weakened and started to fade at an alarming rate, the doctors deeming it was a miracle that she had survived as long as she had with her significant blood loss and heart condition as they prepped her for another emergency operation. And fortunately, Ben had the foresight to place Rey on a waiting list for a new heart months ago when he first heard of her condition, donating a significant amount of money to the hospital along with threatening the board of directors – using his influence as a mafia don to move her to the top of the list.

Ben rose from his seat and punched the wall. "Fuck! What's taking so long!?"

"It's heart surgery right after an emergency C-section. I would be worried if they finished quickly."

Snapping his head to his cousin, Ben glared daggers at him as Rose punched Armitage's arm.

"What? I'm only speaking the truth. Calm down and let the doctors do their job. You know that Rey is in the best and most capable hands right now."

Closing his eyes, he leaned his head back and took a deep breath to calm himself because what Armitage said was true. He would have taken another deep breath, but the sound of Armitage's phone alerting them to a message had him opening his eyes.

"Did they find him?" Ben growled.

"Almost. According to Poe, dear old Sheev was last seen escaping on a private jet to go into hiding after hearing the news of the failed assassination, and Chewie was able to eliminate a quarter of the Palpatine family and their associates. Man, I love that fucker and wish I were with him. Anyway, with Poe and Chewie on the job, I know they'll track him down quickly and drag his wrinkly old ass back to us soon."

"Good."

Spinning on his heels, Ben made his way down the hall.

"Where are you going?" Rose asked softly, leaning her head against Armitage's shoulder as she wiped at her cheeks.

"I need some... fresh air. Armitage, call me the second any news of Rey is known."

"Got it, boss man."

With his shoes clacking against the tile floor, Ben made his way to the recovery wing, finding his brother's room easily. Knocking on the door, he waited several seconds before entering to find Kylo Ren and Obi-Wan chuckling, Obi-Wan standing and patting Kylo Ren's shoulder before leaving the room to give them privacy.

They stared at each other for long moments, Ben not knowing where to start – thankful when Kylo Ren spoke first.

"Is Rey out of surgery yet?"