Chapter 8

Thursday
I notice Zach consistently tapping his finger on the table. I carefully place a hand on his to stop it from tapping, "Hey, calm down okay? We studied for two days in a row for over four hours. You definitely got over a C."
He sighs, "But what if I didn't? What if I barely made it to a C and have to be benched for tomorrow's game?"
I shake my head, "Zach, you can't think like that. Besides, I've seen the progress you've done in two days. You're going to pass."

"That," he says. "You always seem to see the brighter side of things. How do you do it?"
I sigh, "I don't know. I guess with a past like mine, it's all I have to think of."

Mr. Hudson comes to our table and looks down. "No PDA in school."
In confusion, I look to where he is looking and my hand is still on top of Zach's. Instantly, I remove it and clamp my hands together.
I don't make eye contact with Zach and wait for Mr. Hudson to give us our test scores.
He faces them upside down and leaves. I look at my score. One hundred percent! Yes!

I look over at Zach who hasn't looked at his score yet.
He sighs, "I can't do it. Can you look?"
I nod, and I take his paper. He- wow- an eighty-nine percent. That's almost an A.
I hide my happiness and decide to mess with him a little.
"Oh.." I slowly say.
"Oh?! Is that a bad oh?!"
I sigh, "I'm sorry..."
He lets out a heavy breath of air, clamping his hands around his neck and leaning his head down. He looks defeated.
I finish my sentence. "I'm sorry for the other team! Guess who's gonna be our quarterback tomorrow?"

His head instantly pops up and he looks at me with hope. I show him the paper with a big '89' written on it.
"I passed-" he lightly says. "I PASSED!"
He stands up and cheers. "WOO! GUESS WHO WILL BE YOUR QUARTERBACK FOR TOMORROW!"

"Dude I passed too!" Corbyn shouts.
Zach walks over and gives him a 'bro hug.'
"Congratulations you two, but please return to your seats now," Hudson says.
Zach sits down and stares in awe at his paper.

"See? I told you that you passed," I say with a light smile.
He looks at me with the biggest smile I've ever seen on his face. Out of nowhere, he grabs me and pulls me in for a hug.
"Thank you Y/n. Seriously. This game is really important to me."
I accept the hug and wrap my arms around him as well. "Of course, what are teammates for?"

He pulls apart and his expression of happiness has dimmed down.
The bell rings and he quickly gathered his stuff. "I'll see you later," he says and walks out of class.
I gather my stuff and head out as well.

"Hey Y/n!" I hear Corbyn say as I approach my locker. "I just wanna say thank you for tutoring us. I got a 93 on the test."
I smile at him, "It's not a problem. You two can join me at the shop to study any time if you need it."
He nods, "I might have to take you up on that offer sometime. I'll see ya later Summers."
I lightly wave goodbye and grab some of my stuff for the next class.

Friday, end of game
"The Panthers take tonight's game, ending our football teams win streak. Don't worry Greenville, we'll get the next game."

"Woo!!" The boys cheer in the locker room. I awkwardly stand in the hidden corner, changing out of my gear.
"Good game panthers! But please remember there is a lady in here. Please be respectful," I hear Coach Turner say.
"Don't worry coach. Daniel and I will take care of anyone who disrespects her privacy," I hear Corbyn say.

I smile as I finish up getting undressed. I reach in my bag to find my sweatpants and top.
"Hey Y/n, you good back there?" I hear Zach ask.
"Oh, um yeah I'm almost dressed," I respond. I find some sweatpants but I can't find my top. Where did it go?! I was wearing it when we got here. It can't just disappear out of my bag.
I dump my bag until it's completely empty. There's no sign of it.