Chapter 14

I had explained what just went down, and once I've finished speaking, I lay my head face down on the table.
"Uggghhh," I groan. "What is her problem with me anyways?"
Zach's hand starts rubbing my back, "I'm sorry, I think that's my fault. I shouldn't have dragged you to her party and she wouldn't have this grudge against you."
I scoff, "I have a feeling this was gonna happen eventually if I didn't go."

"Yeah. I knew she wasn't the nicest person but she's gone psycho. Someone's crazy for you Zach," Jack had said.
The boys laugh, causing Zach to groan this time. "That was also my fault. I led her on."
"I for sure thought you two were at least gonna try dating since it's been a year or two of your constant flirting," Corbyn had said.

"She was always clingy. I knew I didn't want anything further than some mild flirting."
"Clearly," I lift up my head, "She thought of it as more than flirting."
"I'm sorry again," He says.
I shake my head, "Don't be. You're not the one who tackled me to the ground."

"Y/n Summers."
All of our heads turn to the door. "Mr. Robinson would like to speak with you."
I nod, getting up and following the secretary into the office.
Stacy is sitting, arms and legs crossed, eyes narrowed at me. I roll my eyes at her and she mocks me by silently moving her mouth.
"Stacy enough," Robinson ordered. "Y/n, let's speak please."

I walk in and take a seat in front of his desk.
"I've been informed about the commotion that just happened in the hallways. Care to tell me what happened?"

I nod, and tell him exactly what had happened. From me walking away, to her mean words, to jumping me.
"It completely knocked the wind out of me and it still hurts if I'm being honest. I don't know how I'm going to last through practice today."

"Well you might have to sit out practice for today and even the game this Friday."
"The game?!" I freak out. "I can't sit out the game. I'm the only kicker on the team!"
He nods, "I understand that, but you did fight Stacy back. We do not tolerate fighting and actions have consequences."

I shake my head, "No sir, I didn't fight back. I did everything to defend myself. Sure, I shoved her backwards out of my face but she was the one getting too close for comfort and shoving me first. She's the one who jumped me. Please don't punish the entire team because Stacy has problems that she wants to drag me into."

Robinson clamps his hands and sighs, "I'll see what I can do. You're dismissed."
I nod and walk out of the office, passing Stacy and going back to the boys.

Practice
I look in the mirror and notice bruises forming on my breasts. Just great.
I look for the first aid kit and take out the bandages, starting to wrap my torso to where the bruises are.

Three knocks come from the door. "Y/n? You okay in there?" I hear Corbyn's voice say.
"Oh, um yeah I just have to put the pads on."
"Can Zach and I come in then? Is it clear?"
I laugh, "Yeah Besson, coast is clear."
The door opens and I face my back to them.
"What the- why are you wrapped up?" Zach asks.
I shake my head, "It's nothing I can't handle."

"At least let us help you put the shoulder pads on," Zach offers, picking it up.
I smile, "Thanks."
I lift up my arms and the two of them slide on the shoulder pads. Corbyn then hands me my jersey.
"Come on, Coach is waiting."
I put on the jersey as Zach grabs my helmet and we walk out to the field.

"Oh good, you're here. Robinson would like to speak to you for a second while we get started with practice," Turner said.
I look at Mr. Robinson with a smile and follow him towards the bench.
"So about the game on Friday-"
"Am I allowed to play?"
He laughs, "I'm getting there. I've been informed of what went down over the weekend and noticed that Stacy has a personal vendetta against you."

I scoff, "Which is ridiculous since I've done nothing to her."
He nods, "I've also been informed of that information as well, and decided to let you continue on with school and school activities normally."
I smile big, "Thank you sir."
"You just have to promise me," He warns, "That you will steer clear from fighting and Stacy from now on. Do we have a deal?"

I shake his held out hand, "Deal."
"Great," he says. "I'll be on my way now. Enjoy practice Ms. Summers."
I join Zach, Corbyn, Jonah, Daniel, Jack, Crawford and Oscar on some footwork drills to get my practice started.

The boys are now running over defensive plays, leaving me to practice on my own.
I go over to the plot of grass and set up all five football holders with footballs ready to go so I can practice kicking.
When I kick, I'm in a whole different world. It feels as if I'm kicking away all my problems and forgetting about them, becoming relieved, relaxed.

I take a deep breath as things flash in my mind. Stacy and her stupid party. Kick.
Stacy and her stupid words. Kick.
Stacy jumping me over a guy. Kick.
My messed up life that I can't escape. Kick.
My family. Kick.

I ran out of footballs and am huffing and puffing for air. I take my helmet off and notice how far I had kicked them.
"Summers!" Coach's voice booms from the field. I quickly look over at him and everyone's just standing there facing my direction.
"Yeah?" I shout.
"Save some for the game yeah? Take a break."

I smile and nod, "Okay."
Once I retrieve all the footballs and equipment, I take a seat at the bench and watch the boys run some offensive plays.
"Are you okay Summers?" Coach asks, keeping his eyes on the boys.
"I'm fine," I let out.
He looks at me, "You sure? You just kicked five balls in a row and almost all of them were a hundred yards."

I shrug, "Someone's just trying to make my life miserable and it's working I guess. I'm bandaged up underneath the pads because of a bruise she gave me."
"You're hurt?" He questions.
I shake my head, "It's nothing I can't handle. I'll be fine, just gotta ice it when I get home."
"Okay," he said uneasily. "You know you if you need anyone, all of us got you right? We're a team and we'll always be there for you."

I smile and bring my eyes to Zach on the field, "Thank you, I know you guys are. I've been given proof of that."
"Hey," Turner says. "Why don't you go on ahead and change back to your normal clothes while we close up practice yeah?"
I tilt my head, "Are you sure? I can wait till everyone goes."
"No," he shakes his head. "Go ahead. You've outdone yourself today with those kicks earlier."
I nod and said, "Thanks coach," getting up and going to the locker rooms to change.

When I leave the locker room, the team starts heading towards the guys locker room and I wave goodbye to them all.
"Hey wait," Zach runs up to me. "Where are you heading now?"
"I'm gonna head home to finish up some homework then I have to be at the shelter to serve dinner at 6." I reply.

He tucks a loose strand of hair behind my ear, "Do you think I can join you?"
My eyes widen, "You'd want to do homework.. then help out at the shelter?"
He shrugs, "Why not? Sounds fun."
I give him a weird face, "Did the Zach Herron just say doing homework is fun?"
"Huh," he says. "I guess I did."
I make an exaggerated shocked face. "Who are you and where is Zach?"

He lightly pushed my shoulder, "Oh come on. It'll be fun cause you're there."
I feel myself go soft inside and I awe at him.
"I suppose you can join me. The shelter always accepts more helping hands."

He leans forward and placed a kiss on my forehead. "Great. I'll be right out and we can go yeah?"
I smile, "Yeah, I'll be waiting."