Chapter 10

Not wanting to cause a scene, I grab his hand and he helps me off the couch, practically dragging me to the closet.
When he closed the door, he let go of my hand, leaning against the door and sighing.

I look around the dark closet and it's empty. Of course this house is big enough to have an empty closet.

I look back at Zach. "Why'd you bring me?"

He leans against the doorframe, arms crossed. "I didn't wanna bring someone who would try to spend the seven minutes sticking their tongue down my throat."

I nod, understanding that I'm the only girl in the group that wouldn't do that.
I start to rock on my feet, heel to toe, heel to toe, just standing there not knowing what to do.

Zach lightly chuckles. "You've never played seven minutes in heaven have you?" Asking with what I think is a smirk.

I shake my head. "I have absolutely no idea what we're supposed to do."

"You know," he says. "Anything the two people want to do in under seven minutes."

"So we can just talk and have a conversation?"

"Yeah. We can finish the one we were having at the bookshelf. Do you remember what you were trying to say?" He asks.

"Um," I think out loud. "You said I was witty tonight.. I said you're not around to see.. you said let's change that.. I said- oh yeah- I was saying how that wouldn't be a good idea."

I instantly regret saying all of that out loud. My nerves got to me. I'm in a dark closet, alone, with the one person on the team I'm attracted to. What do I even do in this situation?!

Zach had stood up straight, taking the slightest step closer to me. "Why would me being around you more not be a good idea?"

I took a huge gulp, feeling more nervous than before. "I- I don't know?" I lied.

He had slightly gotten closer to me. I could tell since I could see his features in the dark clearer.
He hums, "Mm I think you do know."

"I- uh," I let out, feeling flustered.
I look around with my eyes and notice a lightbulb shape on the ceiling.
"Oh look, a light," I say, pulling on the string that hung above our heads.

The closet fills with light and Zach is only a foot away. He pulls the string again. "I don't know. I like being in the dark with you."

I pull the string, "Lights on seem fine to me."
He pulls it again, "But it's peaceful in the dark."
I go to pull the string once more, but my hand gets wrapped around by his, causing me to freeze.

His warm touch sends shivers throughout my whole body, leaving me speechless and frozen.
All because of his touch.

"I'll tell you what," he says, voice low. "We can turn the lights on if you tell me why it's not a good idea."

"No," I say, pulling the string with his hand still on mine.
"Yes," he does the same thing.
"No."
"Yes."
"No."
"Yes."
"No!"
"Yes!"
"NO!"
"Why not?!"

"Because I'm attracted to you!"
I pull the string so it's dark again, hiding my face. I huff, "There. That's the reason. The more you're around, the more unfocused I'll end up being."

"And is that such a bad thing?" He asks.
He takes his hand off of mine, stuffing them in his pockets.

"Yeah, it is." I respond. "If I'm unfocused, we could start losing our games by one point. Two even!"

"So what? You just don't wanna be around me for the team?"
I shrug. "I mean.. it sounds like it, so yeah."
Zach sighs, "Summers, you do know that I'm a part of that team as well? You're a part of the team?"
I don't respond, wanting to know what his point is.