Chapter 12

"What would've happened if we had that extra minute in the closet?"

I take a huge gulp, knowing exactly what would've happened. I was seconds away from standing on my toes to connect our lips.

Zach had shifted, and is now leaning forward, arms resting on his legs, keeping him propped up. He lets out a breath, "I think we both know the answer to that question."

I sigh, "Okay.. fair.. but why would that have happened...?" I let my voice trail off as I watch his hand go up to his mouth, gently rubbing his face as his hand slowly falls to his chin.

"You're not the only one," Zach says, "who has an attraction between the both of us."
"Wait what?" I was taken aback from his words. They were confusing yet it filled in a piece of a puzzle I've been attempting to solve.
His kind yet wise words, his touch freezing me in my place, the way he held onto my neck and rubbed my chin, our lips touching.

Of course it all had happened because there's something here between the two of us. It all made sense now.

He lightly lets out a breath of air, his smile starting to show. "I think you know what."
"Zach.." I slowly say in a whisper.
I hear him take a sharp inhale, "You rarely call me by my first name you know."

"Oh come on," I say in disbelief, "I'm sure I call you Zach all the time."
"Mm no you don't."
I scoff, "Seriously? I call you Zach."
"Only when you're around me though."
"Pff, that's not true."

"Oh yeah? Should I test my theory?" He daringly says.
I look to my right, away from him, "Sure but I doubt your theory would be-"

His hand grabbed my chin, turning my head to face him, pulling my face closer to his. His eyes stared deep into mine, shining from the moon almost halfway up in the sky.
He tilt my head up, causing our lips to touch once more, but he doesn't move. Again.
"Zach.." I whisper.

He lets go of my chin and places his hand on my thigh, smiling.
"Point proven," he said, smiling big as ever.
"Wha-"
"You only say my name when it's just you and I-"

I couldn't take it anymore.
His constant teasing.. I gave in.
My hands found their way to the back of his neck, pulling him closer to finally connect our lips. We kissed for what felt like an eternity. My hand found it's way to his hair, lightly grabbing it and getting tangled in his brunette strands.

His hands had slithered to my waist, pulling my body closer to his. Our lips move in sync, hungry for each other's.
A feeling settles at the bottom of my stomach as we both pull apart to catch our breaths.

I open my eyes to find him staring at my lips.
This time, he leans down and hungrily kisses me. It was rough yet gentle, lust-full yet passionate.

There's no more denying anything. There's no more avoiding him unless it's for football.
There's clearly something here and I can no longer run from it.

Wait- football-
I pull apart and he looks at me with slight confusion. "What about football?" I ask.
He shrugs, "What about it?"
I sigh, "Isn't there like.. a 'no dating teammates' rule or something?"
"Dating? Do you wanna date me Summers?" He said smirking.

I lightly smack his shoulder, "Zach, I'm serious."
"Okay," he says. "We don't have a rule like that. There hasn't been a girl on the team before, so no, there isn't a rule. Do you think we can go back to this?"
He leans back down and plants another kiss on my lips, causing me to smile.
I pull apart again, "Look, clearly there's something here but we have to promise each other one thing."

He nods, "Okay, what is it?"
I take in a breath, exhaling as I say my words. "Whatever we have won't affect how we play on field in any way. When we're playing or practicing, our minds are focused for the game and only the game."

"I can agree to that," Zach replies.
I exhale a breath of relief, "Good."
"We're not playing a game right now though.."
I bite my lip as I look into his eyes that's keeping the same hunger there was before.
He leans down again, connecting our lips, and this time I don't pull apart to ask another question or to clarify anything.
It's just Zach and I, sitting on the trunk of his car, kissing under the night sky.

He placed a hand on my back and starts laying me down. His hands propped him up on the car on either side of me and we continued kissing as he hovered above me.

*time skip*

"What about the team?" I ask.
He laughs, "Don't worry about them. It's none of their business anyways."
"Okay.. but what if they ask?"
He placed a hand on my thigh, keeping his left hand on the steering wheel. "If they ask, just answer truthfully."

"Okay.. but what exactly is the truth? What are we?"
"You're filled with a lot of questions tonight huh?" He teases.
I sigh, "Sorry. I'm just.. confused."
His thumb rubs my thigh, "Me too. But if anyone asks, you can just say we're two people trying to figure things out. Does that work?"

I nod, "Yeah, that works."
Zach glances over at me and smiles when he looks back at the road. He flipped his hand over, palm facing up. I gently place my hand in his, intertwining our fingers.

Yeah. We're just two people trying to figure things out. No biggie.
Huge biggie.
I've never dated anyone. How am I so calm?!
I'm not calm. Not calm at all. I just kissed someone for the first time god damnit, how do I handle this?!

His thumb starts making tiny circles on my hand and my thoughts calmed down.
Just go with the flow Y/n, just let it all happen.
You'll learn along the way.
Yeah. You'll learn how to handle it.
I smile at the sight of mine and Zach's hands holding each other's.

This boy is something else.