Chapter 2

A/n: like I said, Instagram sees it first ;)

"Hey wait up," I hear. I stop packing up my soccer gear and look up to see Seavey coming my way. I tilt my head at him, hoping he'd understand that I'm confused on why I have to 'wait up.'
He caught up to me, holding out some papers. "Coach wanted me to give you the schedule of our workouts and practices."
I nod and take the papers, "Thanks..."
"Daniel," He finishes. I sheepishly smile, "Thanks Daniel. I guess I'm gonna have to learn everyone's name if I'm a part of the team."
He laughs, "Yeah. I can help you out though if you need anything."

I was taken aback from his words. He is offering me help?
I nod, "Thanks.. that actually means a lot." He nods, "I'll see you on Thursday."
I wave goodbye and grab my bag. Time to walk home.
I make sure I have everything before I go. I take a look at the field once more, examining everything. The boys are getting ready for try outs, jerseys on, cleats on, and some even have helmets.
I'm gonna have to tell Vinnie about this. I'll need a new set of.. everything.
I turn around and start walking home.

"V! Aunt Rita! I'm home!" I shout when I enter.
"I'm in the kitchen! What took you so long? I thought practice ended at 2?" Aunt Rita shouts.
I walk over to the kitchen, where I see Vinnie sitting on the living room couch.
"Actually.. I have to quit soccer."

Vinnie scoffs, "Finally. That coach showed you no respect-"
"I'm on the football team." I blurt, interrupting his words.
I hear my aunt stop her movement in the kitchen and Vinnie slowly turns around. "You're what?"

I clear my throat. "The football had asked me to be on the football team as their kicker."
Vinnie stands up and walks over to me, "He personally asked you?"
I gulp and nod my head. Vinnie then pulled me in for a hug, "My niece is on the football team!!"
"Vinnie-"
He ignores me and starts jumping up and down. Vinnie has always supported me with everything I do. Although he is my uncle, he's a better father than my real one ever was. But he told me to never call him 'Uncle Vinnie.' He said it makes him feel older than he already is.

"Vin let her breathe for a second would you?" Aunt Rita said.
I laugh and V pulls apart. "Oh I've always loved football."
"You have?" My aunt and I said in sync.
Vinnie places a hand above his heart, "Ouch. Is it that hard to believe that I was on my high schools football team back in high school?"

"Wait you played football?" I ask.
"I- no. I was the equipment manager. I was too skinny to play."
I burst out in laughter, my aunt following.
"What? Just because I didn't actually play, doesn't mean I didn't have a love for it."

I calm down my laughter, "Okay, so you'll teach me everything I need to know?"
He shakes his head, "Nope. You have to learn to kick yourself, but I can teach you the basics about football."
I nod, "I know about football. You have to get the ball to the end zone or closest to it before you get four downs, and you have to gain a certain amount of yards or something like that."

Vinnie looked impressed, "Wow, that's the basics alright."
I laugh, "I know. I've seen a couple of games on at the coffee shop."
"Oh right, your job. You'll have to talk to your manager if you're going through with this football thing," Aunt Rita said.

I nod my head, "Yeah. This schedule I got is packed with lifting and practice sessions."
I grab the paper out of my bag and show my aunt. "Are you sure you'll have enough time with your job and school?"

I sigh, "I've managed for the past year with soccer. I can continue to manage it now."
"Yeah but sweetheart," V said, "Football is a little busier than soccer, with the games and practices and.. what's on there.. weight lifting?"
I sigh, "Okay. I'll talk to my manager about my work times and fix my work schedule. Can you drive me?"

Vinnie nods and walks to the front door, grabbing his keys and exiting the house.
"Wait- right now?!" I shout.
He probably didn't hear me so I quickly grab the schedule and kiss my aunt goodbye.

Vinnie is in the car already, so I just hop in the passengers seat. "We have to get you new stuff! Cleats, mouth guard-"
"I'm not playing defense or anything! I just kick the ball. Do I need a mouth guard?"
Vinnie starts driving, "Well you never know. Safety first."
I sigh. What did I get myself into?

The only reason I agreed to be the kicker was seeing that look on Herron's face. The priceless shocked look that'll forever be engraved in my head. I just know he doesn't think I can do this, so I'm going to prove him wrong.
I sigh again, but with more energy, "Okay. Let's go shopping."

Vinnie drove me to the coffee shop I work at and I fixed my schedule. He then drove us to the mall, where we got all kinds of stuff for me. He treated, which I didn't feel good about but he didn't let me pay. The whole reason I need my job is to help with money, and they've already accepted that I won't allow them to keep us financially stable on their own. They were nice enough to move closer to my parents home so I didn't have to move schools when I moved in with them.

My life has been crazy and I haven't even finished high school.

Two days later
"Bye, I'm going to practice!" I yell as walk out with my bag.
I'm an hour early so I can walk slow. Maybe I can even practice kicking the football. I honestly don't know. This is something new for me. No girl has been on our schools football team before, so I have no idea what's to come.

I'm walking, enjoying the relaxation that I know will be taken away in the next hour, and soaking in the sun.
A car honks from behind me. I look and it slows down next to me. The window rolls down.
"Do you need a ride?"
Daniel is driving and there is another guy in the passengers seat.
"Oh no, it's fine I don't wanna be a bother."

The other guy shakes his head, "You're no bother. Besides, Coach would kill us if he knew we left our kicker to walk to practice."
I tilt my head, "You sure?"
The both of them nod and I smile. "Thank you," I say as I open the door. I see another guy sitting behind Daniel's chair. Once I get in, I close the door and look to my left.
"Herron." I say as a greeting, nodding my head at him in a 'sup' kind of way.
He scoffs and crosses his arms, looking out the window.

I silently scoff, crossing my arms and looking out of the window as well.
"Summers, do you have any songs you wanna listen to?" The guy in the passengers seat asks.
I awkwardly look in the rear view mirror to see Daniel glancing at me, waiting for me to answer.
"Oh, I don't listen to music."
"What?" The guy says. "You don't have a playlist on your phone full of music?"
I awkwardly laugh, "Aha.. well I don't have a phone."

"So she's a boring, phone less freak. She's gonna be our new kicker?" Zach said.
I roll my eyes at him, not letting what he said get to me.
"Zach shut up for once Dude."
"Crawford how about you shut up."

I watch as Zach and.. I guess his name is Crawford, look at each other with anger.
"Stop it you two. Don't scare off our new kicker," Daniel said.
The two of them stop and Daniel keeps driving with the car being in an awkward silence.
Daniel clears his throat, "Anyways. Y/n?"
"Hm?" I hum.
"This is Crawford Collins. He's our linebacker. And.. well that's Zach. You've met him.." he trails off.

I nod, "It's nice to meet you Crawford."
"You too. I think you're gonna do great."
I hear a quiet 'pft' come from Zach and I ignore it.
"We'll introduce you to the rest of the team at practice," Daniel said.
I nod, and I just sit in silence until we arrive.