Chapter 7

Two weeks later
"There we have it folks, the Panthers beat the Vikings, adding on to their win streak and making it four. The next game will be away, so don't be shy to drive out to Greenville next Friday."

I smile big and run to the bleachers where Vinnie is standing. I give him a big hug.
"Good job tonight Y/n! Now go get changed. Let's go get some milkshakes," Vinnie says.
I smile and nod. "Thanks V. I'll be right back!"
I take off my helmet and walk towards the locker room.

Once I packed up my stuff, I head outside to find Vinnie, but he's not at the bleachers anymore. I walk around the bleachers looking for him but no sign. Maybe he went inside to the Hall.
I walk inside but he's still not there. He wouldn't just leave me. Maybe he's in the bathroom.
I sit at a table in the Hall and just wait for him to hopefully come out of the bathroom.

"I'm not gonna pass Hudson's math test on Tuesday dude."
I look up to see Zach and Corbyn talking as they exit the boys locker room. I instantly look back down and start fidgeting with my bag, pretending I'm fixing whatever is inside.
"Do you need to pass it?" Corbyn asks.
I hear Zach sigh, "Yeah. If I wanna have a full ride scholarship for college I need to keep my grades up. It sucks that I'm so bad at math."

"What did you get on the quiz from Wednesday?" Corbyn asked.
"Forty percent," Zach replies.
"I got a sixty. Looks like we both need some help," Corbyn said. "Oh hey Summers."

I look up from my bag and smile at them like I wasn't listening. "Hey," I respond.
I quickly look at Zach and back at Corbyn. I've already come to terms that I'm attracted to him after whatever happened on the field three games ago, but we're teammates so I can't let it get out of control. Actually I haven't let it get out of control. I've been avoiding him as much as I can without it being obvious and no ones picked up on it. Besides, he's still a jerk to other people than his teammates.
"What're you doing?" He asked.
I shrug, "Hopefully waiting for Vinnie to come out of the bathroom."

"Vinnie?" Zach chimes in.
"Ooo," Corbyn says and starts poking at my sides. "Who's Vinnie? Your boyfriend?"
"Boyfriend?"
I look at Zach who is just looking at me with his eyebrows lightly furrowed.
I bring my attention back to Corbyn. "One, that's disgusting. Two, there's no boyfriend, and— Vinnie!"

I stop talking to them and divert my attention to Vinnie coming out of the bathroom.
"Y/n! You ready to go?"
I smile and walk over to him with my bag, "Yeah, but here come meet some teammates. Vinnie, this is Corbyn and Zach. Guys, this is my Uncle Vinnie."

"Ohh Uncle," Zach says.
"The disgusting part makes sense now. It's nice to meet you sir," Corbyn says.
"Disgusting? What does he mean by disgusting
part-"

"Come on V! Let's go get those milkshakes!" I quickly say as I guide him towards the exit.
"Milkshakes?" Zach asks.
Vinnie stops walking and turns to talk to them again, "Yeah! You two are more than welcome to join us if you want?"
"Oh, they're probably tired V. You guys don't have to-"
"We'll join, thank you sir," Zach said.

"Please, call me Vinnie. Do you guys need a ride?"
"Our buddy Daniel actually drove us here-"
"We would love a ride Vinnie," Zach interrupted Corbyn.
My jaw slightly opens at his words. What the-

"Great! You guys ready to go?"
Zach nods his head and Corbyn shrugs.
I just sigh. Nothing I can do now.

*time skip*
"It's my treat you two. Consider it a congratulations on the win."
"Thanks Vinnie," Corbyn says.
Once we had gotten our milkshakes, we all had taken a seat at a booth. Zach sat across from me and Corbyn sat across from V.
I sit there and slowly sip my milkshake as Vinnie socializes with them.

"So how good is Greenville?" Vinnie asks.
The two of them look at each other, trying to come up with an answer.
"Uhh," Corbyn says. "They're good. They beat us last year."
"And they're gonna beat us again," Zach adds in.
I tilt my head at him, "Why do you say that?"
He heavily sighs, "If I don't pass Hudson's math test on Tuesday I can't play for the game on Friday."
"What?! Who told you this?"

"Coach came into the locker room and told us," Corbyn replies.
"So this applies to all of you?" I ask.
Zach sighs, "Yeah. Anyone who has a test this week has to get a C or higher or we're benched."
I tilt my head, "Why wasn't I told of this?"
"You weren't?" They both ask in sync.
I shake my head no.

"Hey um, Y/n?" Corbyn asks.
"Hm?"
He continues, "What did you get on that pop quiz from Wednesday?"
"Umm, I think 110 percent. Why?"
Zach lightly choked on his milkshake and looks at me. "A hundred and ten?! How is that possible?!"
I shrug, "I got all the questions right including the extra credit one."
"I got a 60!" Corbyn says in a higher pitched voice."Yeah! And I got a 40!"

"Hey, why don't you boys study with Y/n? It's all she ever does when she's not out and about," Vinnie suggests.
The boys raise their eyebrows at me, looking hopeful. I instantly shake my head, "I can't, I'm super busy. The test is on Tuesday, I have full shifts all weekend, the shelter on Monday after practice—"

"Nonsense. You guys can go to the coffee shop she works at tomorrow or Sunday. That's where she studies anyways," Vinnie says.
"Vinnie! I'm sure that they don't need my help.." I try to convince myself.
"Actually, we kinda do," Corbyn says.
"Why don't you tutor them at the shop? You always tell me how it's always empty there most of the time anyways."

I furrow my eyebrows and look at Zach. His eyes hold a glare, and for once I can read him. He looks worried. Worried that if he doesn't pass this test, he won't get to play.
Now as to why he is worried? I don't know.
I watch his mouth open as he lips the word 'please.'

I look back at Corbyn who has the same expression, but not as much as Zach.
I sigh, "Fine. I'll tutor you guys. Come by The Coffee Club tomorrow so we can start. My shift is from 7 to 4 pm."
"Deal, we'll be there," Corbyn responds.
I smile at him and look back at Zach, who is smiling as well. I can't help but smile back.

"Thank you," He whispers so only I could hear.
I smile and look down at my milkshake.
I feel a light kick to the side of my leg, and knowing it's Zach, I look back up at him.
He's lightly smiling at me and takes a sip of his milkshake.
I giggle, kicking him back and taking a sip of mine.

The four of us continue talking and listening to Vinnie and his crazy football stories when he was the equipment manager.
I actually enjoyed tonight.
Zach's company..
It's something I can get use to.

The next day
"I'll be right with you in a moment!" I shout as I finish drying up some coffee mugs.
I walk to the register, "What can I get for- oh hey guys." I smile at Corbyn and Zach.
"Hey, we'll set up right here is that fine?" Corbyn asks while pointing to the counter by the counter door.
I nod, "Yeah, I'll go get my stuff from the back."

I grab my stuff and set up in between Zach and Corbyn. I look around and no one is here, so I start to tutor them and teach them all the stuff they didn't understand.
"Are you sure your boss doesn't mind you tutoring us while you're working?" Zach asks.
I shake my head, "It's fine as long as I do my job and serve customers when they come in."

The door rings open which is my cue to go to the register. "I'll be right back guys."

Zach's POV
Corbyn is actually studying but I can't help it. My attention always gets pulled away from the textbook and gets drawn towards Y/n.
How does she do it?
With her family reputation, with sports, this job, some shelter... and she still maintains good grades?
She's a puzzle that I can't seem to solve with just one look.