63 | ONE

These new year posters make me so happy! Thank you @the_lov3twins for the fun poster!

Chapter 63: ONE

*23.23 on New Year's Eve*

Last year I was in my bedroom when the clock struck midnight. And I wasn't even upset about it.

I didn't have to worry about holiday surge pricing or how I was going to get home. I didn't have to stand for hours in uncomfortable clothing. I entered the new year in comfort and a onesie.

But this year, there was uncertainty. So much fun, but also uncertainty.

I watched Austin speak to the mysterious girl. Her hair descended in dark waves around her shoulders and her smile was radiant. They sounded so excited talking to each other.

"What are you doing here?!" Austin asked her, visibly surprised.

Lara replied, equally shocked, "I was going to ask you the same thing!"

They held onto each other, given the wild crowd around them. 

Her lipstick was incredible. I was hypnotized by how glossy they were. 

There was a sort of poetry to their reunion. They had bumped into each other, thirty minutes before midnight, on the other side of the world. 

Cearra, Chad and I leaned in to eavesdrop. We were trying to be subtle. I poured Chad some orange juice as we pretended to have a reason to linger.

"My uncle has a place in Dubai so I'm here for the week," Lara said, speaking over the heavy sound of the beach club's music.

Could they seriously not turn the music down? Private conversations are happening over here.

"We were just at his party," Austin answered, "I saw your aunt there, but I had no idea you were with them. Are your sisters here too?"

Chad's eyes doubled in size, "She has sisters?"

"Can you stop?" Cearra asked him.

Chad was practically drooling over her. Lara was stunning with a confident but not arrogant vibe about her. Her white dress paired and white converses made me regret why I didn't prioritize comfort. My toes were in pain.

"No, it's just me. I'm here with some friends," she answered, waving at a random group in the crowd, "What about you? I can't believe you're here."

Luke, Bianca and Oma came towards them now, having spent the last thirty minutes on the dance floor. My eyes naturally gravitated to Luke as he grabbed a bottle of water and twisted the cap open. He's cute.

Bianca, however, headed straight for the new girl. "Hi there. Do you need help? You have a silver bracelet and this area is for gold ones."

She was flaunting our VIP status.

Suddenly, Chad jumped over the couch, abandoning our identity as the three spying scrooges, and landed on the other side.

"We can get you a gold bracelet!" he exclaimed, almost out of breath, "No issues."

Chad startled Lara, who bumped into Austin. I could see Cearra's gaze scrutinize Austin's hands as he steadied her.

"Thank you," Lara said, looking alarmed by his entrance, "But who are you?"

Chad laughed and I wondered what the joke was. 

He rolled his shoulders back and extended his hand for a handshake, grandly saying, "I... am Roland Chadwick the Third."