40 | Eye Contact

Starry and artistic poster from @bendybutbeautiful.  I love it - look at their noses haha!

Chapteer 40: Eye Contact

I woke up in the middle of the night, confused at first. I didn't remember falling asleep. I remember being with Luke but was that a dream?

He was asleep. His body was warm, and his arm was wrapped over me, keeping me close to him. 

He was lying with his eyes closed on my pillow. The sheets weren't covering him. They were all over me instead.  His bare chest was on full display and his arm stretched out over me.  I stared at his naked form, naked except for black boxers.

"Luke," I whispered.

I was still in disbelief that Luke Dawson was sleeping next to me. He had always been larger than life in my eyes; someone I would admire from across the street. Now he was in my bed, sleeping in my pastel colored sheets. I'll never tell him how he has me wrapped around his little finger.

I watched his eyelids flutter at the sound of my voice. His eyes slowly opened and struck me with their blue.

"We fell asleep," I whispered.

He didn't say anything, but his hand ran softly down my side. I closed my eyes to focus only on one sense – his touch. A sensation I wished would remain long after sunlight came.

Luke's arm was wrapped around my waist and his warmth enveloped me. I lightly pressed my finger against his chest, drawing little shapes on them. He murmured under my touch, his soft eyes closed. It was tickling him.

I gazed up at his beautiful face. A face I had watched change from a roguish boy to a protective man. I leaned up and kissed his jaw. With his eyes still shut, he smiled and kissed me back.

Even in his sleep, he kissed me.

"What time it is?" he asked and his voice was deeper than usual; relaxing to hear so close.

He moved his hand to look around my room, taking it in under the darkness of night. I wondered what he thought about it and all the stuffed animals sitting in the corner. Their beady eyes staring at us - disapprovingly I'm sure.

I yawned, checking my phone. "It's two. We fell asleep so early."

We'd been so exhausted, we must have fallen asleep at 8PM.

He groaned and forced himself up. There was zero chance my mom would check on me and find us like this – but his parents were different. His parents were probably still up, waiting on him.

Luke sat up onto the edge of my bed. I was not jealous of how he had to walk across the street in the cold, while I could stay warmly in my bed. 

He pressed his elbow against his knee and leaned his head against his arm. He glanced back at me and smiled, resisting the urge to get back into bed.  His boxers were quite tight and I-

"I like this song," Luke said, pulling out a vinyl from my collection on my shelf, "Maybe we should play it?"

He turned over to kiss my forehead. Then he reached down and picked his shirt from the floor. He started to get dressed as I put the record back on the shelf.

Maybe one day we could get away from everything, find a place and play old records whenever we wanted to.

Luke asked me something out of the blue. "Do you think of your dad?"  

The question took me by surprise. I stared at the vinyls on my shelf, all neatly lined up in an order I never mixed up. This was all I had left of him.