75 | First Last Day

Character posters are all on my Instagram (@NatalieInACorner)!  

A big thank you to the creators @rosie_hodgkinson, @dokhtare.nangarhari,  @dreamauthor17, @jo.lly834, @_navya_14, @olivia.jarden and @meitorei 

Chapter 75: First Last Day

A black jeep wrangler pulled out of his driveway and into mine.

I heard it outside while I shoved my notebook into my backpack and zipped it up. The sun wasn't fully up yet, and it was still cold outside. I took my thickest jacket, turned off the lights and walked outside.

Luke blasted the car horn.

"What?!" I yelled out. I wanted to murder him for that loud sound.

My lazy boyfriend didn't even bother to roll down the car window. He just pointed behind me and I realized...

He wanted me to lock my front door. The boys had installed a giant padlock on it. 

I trudged back, locked the padlock and returned to the car.

Inside was warm. The heating was already turned on and I dropped my backpack next to his black gym bag in the back. Luke was sitting in the driver's seat with his hair wet from the shower. He leaned over to kiss me just as I started to yawn.

"Sorry," I cupped my hand over my mouth.

I finished the yawn and then went for the kiss. Luke smirked and then tilted his head, his lips hovering tantalizingly close.

"You know you talk about that raccoon so much, it was only time before you became one."

"Uh..." I said. It took me a moment to understand.

Is he calling me a raccoon?

Luke leaned over me to flip down the vanity mirror above my seat. I gave him a confused look before I stared at my reflection and gasped. 

After so many nights of non-sleep, I had turned into a horror film character. The bags under my eyes were now dark purple, like a raccoon.

Luke's voice turned serious, "Why do you insist on staying at your place? I can-"

"I do," I insisted, "And I know Cearra said I could stay with her, and Austin offered the same thing and Chad said something about a pool house... but I don't want anyone's pity. This house is my responsibility now. Everyone else in my family may run away, but I will stay."

Luke looked concerned for me. He knew the real reason why I wasn't sleeping and it bothered him.

But I wanted to stick to this. My family made a habit of running away and I wanted to end the pattern. 

My sadness had turned into anger. I was furious that my mom and sister had left like this. 

**

I was too tired to notice Luke stop at the Coffee Bean before school. He expected me to jump out and run to my salvation. I wish I could.

"I already had coffee," I told him.

"What?" he asked, not able to process a negative response.

"I was up all-night drinking coffee," I said, "I'm super caffeinated."

That wasn't a lie, but the truth is that I don't have any money, I don't have a part time job and I don't have parents. The little money I had I was saving for food.

I exhaled and stared longingly at the coffee shop. One day.

Traffic started to pile up around the block from school. It was day 1 of the spring semester. For Luke, it was the last first day.