88 | Twilight zone

"Your story is serotonin" - thank you @ellepicsid for this compliment in chapter 87!  Love it!

And @Sick_stuck_ for this fuun poster!! 

Chapter 88: Twilight zone

When I stole the little bottle of alcohol from my mom's cabinet this morning, I thought 'today's going to be a chill day.'

And the world laughed in my face.

Did the world laugh? No, it gargled some water and spat all over my face. That's how I feel right now. Like something someone sneezed on.

My knees hurt from skidding against the polished wood of my school's basketball court. My heart hurt from the conflicted emotions I was feeling right now. And my hands hurt trying to untie the rope that bound Kaden's hands behind his back.

No one was helping.

"Stop moving," I told him harshly, having no sympathy for this boy.

Kaden was squirming around on the floor, desperately trying to get out of his tied position. It was difficult to help when he kept jerking his hands. Kaden was in pain, having landed hard on his shoulder, still trapped to the chair. He tried to hide his head away from the guys taking pictures.

I felt sorry for him. This was definitely going to get around school faster than my iced coffee melts.

Why did Luke have to humiliate him like this?

Speaking of Luke Dawson, I looked up at the boy in front of me. My hot but incredibly stubborn boyfriend. He didn't lift a finger to help Kaden, but was watching me instead. Behind him, Austin, Chad and Cearra were standing like back up dancers.

I was so tired of everyone falling into place behind Luke. It's like people just accept he's the starring role in some invisible show. This boy gets away with everything.

"Did you really think this would give you answers?" I asked, trying not to raise my voice so his prying teammates on the stands couldn't hear.

Luke abused his role as Team Captain. He created an environment of fear. And that's my opinion.

People always forgive him because he's 'hot' and he's an 'athlete'. He's charismatic, sure, but he's a jack*ss. And I've called him that since day one. 

His confidence comes because of his power – because he knows he can get what he wants. I've never had that kind of power, and I'm not attracted to it either.

An overprotective, physical boyfriend is not something I glorify. I love Luke as a person, away from the hierarchy. Not as this...

Am I wrong?

Because I feel wrong.

Because Luke's doing this to take care of me. Because everyone else seems to be on his side. And because he's always stood by me. I honestly believe Luke would accept the darkest parts of me.

Can I accept his?

What a mental mess. My mind was swinging from the 'forgive him, he loves you and he's doing this for you' to 'stand up for what you stand for.'

I yanked my backpack off my shoulders, zipped it open and pulled out a pen. I tried to wedge the pen in a gap in the rope's knot to ease it out. That didn't work.

I kept pulling and hurt my finger trying to undo the rope. Why was I so useless? I couldn't even untie the damn rope!

"I can't..." I started, feeling the helplessness overwhelm me.