74 | Home run

Picture above was taken by me! :) 

Wilted flowers and a half eaten plate. On an unrelated note...

Chapter 74:  Home run

If I was at home, I'd be able to fling myself out the front door and into Luke's arms. His strong, neighborly arms. No matter where I live in future, I will always think of Luke as my neighbor.

The future seemed so scary to me now. Luke will be leaving this summer for college and I didn't know where I would be. If my mother doesn't come home, what will happen to me?

I didn't like thinking about it because my eyes started to sting. I called my mom and sister again, like I always do, and expected no reply. I received no reply.

"Why are you in such a hurry?  You're not going anywhere without fuel to start your day," Cearra's mom told me. She placed a plate of waffles on the table, "What would your mother say if I let you leave hungry?"

I don't know.

That's the problem.

I watched Cearra's mom cut the waffles into smaller chunks for her youngest son. He was busy with a coloring book, though his crayons preferred to color the table instead.

Sitting next to me, Cearra was just as restless as her siblings. She twisted round in her chair to stare out the window.

"Is he really outside?" she whispered, trying to spot him on the street, "I don't believe Luke Dawson is outside my house for breakfast! He is a full meal though."

She giggled at her own joke until her mom gave us a look. Luke was outside, waiting for me. I ate my waffles quickly and tried not to jump too eagerly at the sound of coffee. After inhaling an entire cup, I was desperate to leave.

"Go, go, go!" Cearra urged me, "And remember to ask Luke about Austin!"

I thanked Cearra's parents and I grabbed my backpack and scarf. I tried to avoid looking out the window and making it too obvious.

Cearra's mom took my coat from the hanger and handed it to me. "There is a boy outside this house," she said, "I'm guessing he's yours?"

I nervously said, "He's my boyfriend."

"Then slow down," she told me, watching how I was rushing to put my shoes on, "And let the boy wait."

**

The cold couldn't deter my smile.

Luke was outside with a cup of coffee in his hand. He was leaning against the railings of the neighbor's picket fence, wearing a dark winter jacket, while he waited.

His eyebrows raised when he saw me walk out of Cearra's house. "No rush, Minnie. I'm here all day."

The sarcasm dripped off his tongue and I went over to taste it. I kissed his lips and tasted coffee on his tongue. As our kiss deepened, he held the cup further away from us so it wouldn't tip over.

"Is that for me?" I asked.

"For once," he smirked, "No."

A lady walked out of the house and, to my surprise, greeted us, "Is that your girlfriend dear?"

"Yes," Luke answered, wrapping his arm around a very shocked me, "thank you for the coffee."

My envy soared. I have never been offered free coffee before.... and he... even though... gah! It's not fair.

The lady answered extremely enthusiastically, "I'm oh so glad it kept you warm! We don't want a cute thing like you to freeze."

We don't?