98 | Oud

Shoutout to the detectives who actually noticed that MillieRIpley and AustinUntaylored are real IG accounts haha

Amazing poster @sana_rashidx - thank you!

@judily's review on the last chapter: I love their love it's filled with warmth, growth, anger, friendship and love. You can tell they like each other which to me is greater than love. Also to her and Austin friendship, Oma too, it feels as if they too found growth through Millie. Isn't it funny how the person you least expect is the one to bring clarity to your life 

~Please remember to vote~

Chapter 98: Oud

Living in the fear but I'm still here.
Wishing I had a life to steer, but I'm still here.

Jake's voice gently faded with the music, as he raised his hand away from his guitar. He was standing so close to the mic, his other hand brushed up against it, sleeve rolled up to his elbow showing the dark lines of his tattoos. Jake's eyes were closed as he poured his heart out.

Here.

The room was crowded but the crowd was silent. The spotlight on Jake made him look vulnerable and empowered at the same time. He was handsome, and even though he and Luke were so insanely different, I could see the family resemblance.

We listened to the song fade, and immediately after the music ended, I sat up on the bar stool and clapped loudly. There was an echo and a bit of a time lag before the wider applause joined in, but I went with it. Jake opened his brown eyes, almost like he was surprised people listened, and spoke into the microphone.

His voice sounded nervous, so different to the way he had just sung. "Uh, thank you."

The applause got louder, with some wolf whistles thrown in. Jake looked down at his guitar and the pick in his fingers. He clutched it tightly before exiting the stage.

I searched for Luke's reaction. Jake had sung about me once before, and that didn't go down well with Luke.

I couldn't be sure this song was about me, but some of his lyrics felt very close to our situation.

"Where's Luke?" I asked, scanning the area where I saw him last.

Luke stands out in a crowd; it usually takes me a couple seconds to spot him. Last I saw him, he was by the door with his sophomore friend. They had been talking before Jake started singing, but...

I couldn't see either of them now.

"Do you know where Luke is?" I asked Austin, who'd been sitting next to me during the song.

Austin was asking the bartender for another round of water. On the rocks. The bartender playfully rolled her eyes but obliged, adding a cherry in there for visual effect. Austin cheekily grinned and raised his glass to her.

He then answered me, "Luke's not here? He's probably crying outside over Jake's song."

"That's exactly the kind of thing Luke would do," I replied sarcastically.

"Wasn't it just a few months ago that Jake sang about you?" Austin asked, trying to rack his memory for that last time, "We haven't come far since then. At least Jakey improved his songwriting."

My phone buzzed and I looked down, hoping it was Luke. Unknown number.

It's Cearra, don't reply to this number. I stole my dad's phone and I'll delete this message so he doesn't see. 007 vibes over here. I'm sorry for what I said to you. You know how passionate I get about things and my words can come across harsh. Best friends need to stay honest with each other, but what I said to you wasn't right. I've done some thinking here in groundland and I realize that my HARMLESS crush on Luke has totally blinded me to any wrong he can do