53 | Round two

Thank you @ghouli.i.i for this poster! If you want to see more of her amazing posters, I've shared them on my instagram (@NatalieInACorner)

Chapter 53: Round two

The first thing I saw in Dubai was the inside of an air-conditioned car. And it was great.

Water bottles were handed out to us as we piled in. The heat crept into the car with us and lingered for a few seconds before the air con came on.

I was momentarily overwhelmed: disoriented, exhausted, excited and... shy. I felt out of my element here. If we're being honest, I feel out of my element every day. But this was a whole other level.

I've never been on a group vacation before, let alone one that included Luke Dawson, Austin Taylor and... Chad.

Everyone in the car was talking, laughing, joking but then Luke connected his phone to the speakers and turned the music way up. The energy in the car turned up with it and the bass vibrated my seat. I was happy I packed my ear plugs.

I tried to subtly put them on, without anyone noticing.

**

~Chad's villa~

Chad lowered the volume as we entered a gated community and the car rolled slowly down the private road.

I stared out at the sandy colored villas. Palm trees dotted the street and dusk cast a cooler spell over our surroundings. Only one other car passed by.

I stared up at the multi floor villa sitting on a green lawn. Giant arch windows reflected like mirrors. Balcony rails lined the second and third floors and I wondered what the view looked like from up there.

"Wow," I exhaled to myself.

I don't know why but I felt an urge to clean my shoes before stepping foot inside.

I was the last one to get out. I gathered my backpack and hopped out. It was evening and the heat was still present. I wondered what it was like during summer. I waited by the car.

Luke turned around when he realized I wasn't with the others, "Millie, what are you waiting for? They'll bring our bags."

"They?" I asked, "Who's they, Luke?"

He laughed and slowed down, letting the others walk up ahead.

I caught up to him, still blabbering away, "We don't talk like that. You know I don't speak Chad."

"You will after this week," Luke answered.

He walked alongside me up to the house. The doors opened to show a cool marble floor and wide-open space with fancy décor. Random objects were stylishly positioned around the house.

The light fixture in the living room looked like it belonged in a museum. Giant LED circular lights rotated overhead.

I never understood why these interior design people like to put random vases and empty bowls everywhere. Or those pretty books stacked artistically that no one has read. They'll stick a feather on a stand and charge $1000 for it.

But I'm told I don't have an eye for design.

And then I found the motherload.

Something so absurd that it made me stop in my tracks:

It was a giant portrait of Roland Chadwick II staring down at me.

"Oh my...."

"I can't get it out of my head either," Oma said, pushing open the glass door and stepping into the living room from the pool outside, "You should check out your room. It's your first time here, right?"