42 | Trending

Beautiful poster by @_theunsaid.words_. Good luck with your writing, you got this! 

Chapter 42: Trending

"What do you want Luke to give you for Christmas?" Cearra asked me. We were sitting in a little alcove by her living room. "How about himself wrapped up in a red bow and nothing else?"

I had to think about that for a second. 

"I want a puppy for Christmas!" one of Cearra's little sisters screamed, running up to us.

Her house was chaotic with four siblings under the age of twelve. Toys were littered across the living room, like miniature safety hazards. Her parents were in the kitchen, preparing dinner.

Cearra grabbed hold of her sister before she ran into us and told me, "A puppy... or Luke with his puppy dog eyes?"

There's a theme here.

I laughed at her. Her sister squealed and wriggled out from the trapped position, before running off to play with her brothers.

"Think about it," Cearra insisted, "Maybe you could ask him to do that sexy move on court where he scores and then flicks his hair? I swear so many girls go to his games just for that move."

I looked down at the colorfully embroidered cushion on my lap. We were nestled in a cosy alcove, inhaling the phenomenal smells coming out of the kitchen. Her parents were cooking dinner together.

"I don't know what to get him for Christmas," I confessed, finding it hard to think of what to get someone who has everything already.

"Lingerie?"

"For him?"

I couldn't concentrate on Christmas presents when I didn't know how I could afford them.

"Any non s*xual gift ideas?" I said for a start, glancing at her siblings playing in the living room. 

"How am I supposed to know? I'm not the one dating Luke Dawson," she said, "But if I was, I don't know what there is to complain about it. He is 10 out of 10 fine."

"What if I mess up?" I asked, more to myself than to her.

I've never really said this out loud, but I haven't been honest to myself either. I'm scared. Dating Luke has felt like diving headfirst into a One Direction album.

He's got so much energy. He plays basketball with equal skill and speed. He runs and boxes in his spare time. He keeps everyone moving. But I love catching him in his calm moments, when he's sitting still and leaning his hand against his messy hair. When his blue eyes gaze down, and he absentmindedly plays with my hair. Those are my favorite moments.

"Have you said the L word?" she asked me.

"No."

"Do you think you will?"

"If I do, I think he should be the first to know," I answered with an exaggerated wink.

It was a good question though. Do I love him?

Do I know myself enough to love someone? Do I know what that word even means?

"No! How many times have I told you not to eat play-doh?" Cearra told off her younger brother, holding play-doh out of his reach.

"It's Coco Nutty!" he cried out, jumping up high to try to take it from her, "I can eat it!"

"Don't eat it!"

He went off in a huff, whining that his older sister was being mean. She placed the play-doh on a high shelf and returned to our alcove.

"Have you ever thought of being a summer camp counselor?" I asked her, "You'd be really good at it."