73 | Peas in a pod

Can we talk about how incredible this poster is from @_alisha_karwasra?  So talented!

☆ Please remember to vote! ☆

Chapter 73: Peas in a pod

"Who's going to tell her?"

"You."

"Pass. You do it."

"What's she even doing in there?"

"Math. She probably finds it therapeutic."

Their voices drifted loudly through my bedroom door. I put my pencil down on graph paper and rolled my eyes at the sounds. They were not subtle. And not wrong.

I was doing math.

I swiveled round in my chair and said, "I can hear you."

The doorknob twisted and three teenage boys squeezed sheepishly through the door: 

My handsome boyfriend, his musician brother and sweet best friend. A trio with strong distraction capabilities.

"What do none of you want to tell me?" I asked them, waiting patiently.

As I waited oh so patiently, I questioned what's become of my life? My family have disappeared, and three handsome, impulsive boys were acting as their replacements.

Before last year, the only man to enter my room was my dad... and that memory was dusty.

Jake said, "That's a question for the boyfriend." 

'The boyfriend' was hot as ever in a shirt that would be huge on me. His features were so chiseled in the daylight of my bedroom as he gazed at me. Luke seemed almost lost in thought. 

He definitely didn't seem to care about the other two in the room. They way he looked at me made me feel like it was only the two of us.

Jake prodded him, "I can step in, but you-"

Austin sighed, knowing exactly where this was going to go next.

"Cool yourself, Jake," Luke said, "You're f*cking lost here."

"Luke!" I exclaimed, shocked by his comment and doubly shocked by how calmly he said it.

What's wrong with him?! 

Jake let the insult roll over him. "You're still surprised, Millie? This is who you're dating."

"Jake," I sighed, getting so tired of this.

Why couldn't we all get along?

Austin glared at their immaturity. "Mills, we don't want you to stay here alone tonight. Luke's mom suggested that you stay at a friend's house until your parents come home."

My parents aren't coming home. 

One is long gone and the other...  there's a 50/50 chance she comes back.

"You can stay at my place or Chadwick's palace," Austin offered, "But we thought you may want to stay with a friend, so we asked Cearra."

Cearra was such a good friend, but it wasn't the same as Luke. I tried to mask my disappointment.

Instinctively, I looked back to him. This explained why he was in such a bad mood.

"Thanks Austin," I said, keeping the emotion out of my face, "Then, uh, can I stay at Bianca's?"

If I couldn't stay with Luke, I might as well go for full destruction.

"What?" Austin looked confused as he tried to figure out the logic behind my question.