25 | Bridal Style

I saw this drawing and thought @Marnis_art is a super talented artist. Thank you for drawing how you imagine Millie & Luke!

Chapter 25: Bridal Style

I felt like 007, wandering around the lake house with a giant walkie talkie.

"Luke, did I leave my PJs in your bedroom last night?" I released my finger from the button and heard the rustle of static on the other end.

That's right. 007 deals with missing underwear.

I was trying to pack my belongings. We were meant to be leaving later today and I didn't want to be the hold up. I was also trying to take my mind off the situation.

"Millie," Luke's voice came back through the static, "Everyone can hear you."

I pressed the button and replied: "Oops."

I forget that Luke and I were not the only ones with walkie talkies. Everyone with a device on the same channel could hear me, and that included Jake and Luke's mother.

I can't imagine a worse crew to overhear me discuss my missing sleepwear.

"But try my bed," came Luke's slick response.  

He knew his mom and Jake would react to that.  I blushed in the middle of his empty bedroom.

**  

Honestly, I was getting anxious for them to return.  All these distractions were not easing my concern for Annika.  

I was now fully packed and had cleaned the guest room two times.  Anything to get my mind off more serious thoughts.

"Annika?" I knocked on her door.  

Maybe, after all this time, she was just taking a nap in her bed.  Eating nutella in private so she could scoop it straight out of the jar.

After no response, I peeked my head through the door and saw an empty room.  Her clothes were scattered across the bed and left a trail to her bathroom.  

She wasn't there. I didn't want to violate her space any more and considered leaving her a note.  

Then I left.  The suspense was gnawing at me. Where was Annika? 

The boys were still outside looking for her.  She had simply wandered off into the forest... and not returned.   

I wish I could volunteer to join the rescue crew.  I wish even more that I had randomly acquired  tracking or archery skills. 

Some people are destined to be the lead in an action story, and others are... 

I'll finish that thought when I come up with something to finish it with. 

Anyway, unfortunately, physical fitness is not my thing.  I'll leave that to Luke.   

Suddenly, a loud bang came from the shed outside and I freaked out. 

Did anyone else hear that?

I glanced out from the upstairs window and saw Mr Dawson heaving his canoe out of the shed, dragging it along the muddy ground. 

So the good news is... he's actually working on his canoe.  Alibi confirmed.

He called for either of his sons to help.

He clearly hasn't got the memo yet.  They were both gone... but he had me!

I ran downstairs and out the side door, eager to be a helpful handy-woman. "Hi Mr Dawson! I can help!"