01 | Criminal

Oh hello. 

Long time no see. I hope the jump from Book 1 to Book 2 wasn't too bad. Maybe you need a break after all that exercise. And then again, maybe not.... 

Thank you to the amazing @_wanderingpages.101 for sending this lovely cover.  I love receiving them, either on wattpad or via instagram (my IG handle: NatalieInACorner).    

And now, I hope you're ready for the plot to thicken

Chapter 01: Criminal

Recap

A message had been written on the side of a stuffed raccoon:

You may be the world's worst driver, but you know how to drive me crazy.

He'd planted these chicken scratch messages all across the pasture, with the expectation that I would get here. Eventually. 

The wind rustled the bare branches of the trees around us, but I felt warm.

"You were the first person I could stand up to," I said, "I never realized that until now. Somehow, I was always comfortable with you."

"I loved that," Luke confessed, "And I loved watching how your confidence grew. You faced the school down, a gang, my friends and even your own. You're strong, Millie."

I shook my head, hoping he wouldn't notice the emotion in the tears that clouded my eyes. "If I'm strong, it's only because I've been weak."

I stared at the strong, handsome boy in front of me. So many people had walked away from me. So many people had never bothered to get to know me. How is it possible that the one person who did was Luke Dawson?

The friend I never asked for, but the one I always needed.

"Luke," I gasped, suddenly realizing where we were. "I know where you're taking me now! I recognize the road."

His arms were wrapped around my waist and my hands were on his chest. He smiled, his stunning smile that revealed perfect white teeth, and leaned his head down over my mouth. He didn't stifle my words, but he let his lips hover over mine, enjoying the moment.

"Yes, you do, Minnie," he whispered, "It's to the place we met. I'm taking you back to the beginning."

"No," I smiled mischievously, "The beginning started with a raccoon."

**

**

Saturday evening

An ice cube could have melted over him and it wouldn't have changed a damn thing.

He was smoking hot. And the heat intensified the closer I got.

Oh that rhymes. I like to give myself mental high-fives for poetic wording. Sometimes, I really think I deserve a better grade in English-

Focus!

His hot breath was on my skin and my name on his lips.

"Millie," he whispered.

The double "l" rolled off the top of the tongue. I was melting in his arms and he held me closer. His closed eyes hiding the blueness beneath. The warmth of his body heat engulfed me. 

That's when I knew.

I've peaked in high school.

**

**

Sunday morning

It's easy to lose yourself when someone else is letting you go.