17 | We Don't Play

Thank you @_theunsaid.words_ for the cover.  Luke and Millie look like they're standing on top of the world!  

Chapter 17: We Don't Play

I solemnly said, "We are all gathered here today to mourn the loss of an innocent soul."

The sun was shining over the funeral and we had picked a secluded area by a lemon tree.

I unfolded my crumpled piece of paper and read out loud:

"Never again will the world hear you purr,
No one can undo the days that were,
Though we best remember your gentle spirit and golden fur."

Austin mumbled, "Where Jake at?"

My cheeks blushed at the memory of Jake's song. I folded my English homework and slipped it back into my pocket. Unlike Jake, I can't make my rhymes sound good with an angelic voice and guitar strings.

"We meet here to honor and pay tribute to the life of Roger the cat. We want to bring comfort to his friends who are here and have been deeply hurt by his sudden death."

"Millie," Chad interrupted, standing patiently, "We don't know this cat."

"And when we find out who the owner is, we're going to have to dig it up," Cearra pointed out.

I had filled her in on the whole incident, except for the backstory of the threatening letters. She'd insisted on attending the funeral.

"Let me repeat myself," Chad cleared his throat, "We don't know this cat. It's a cat, people."

Luke elbowed him and he fell silent.

In the quiet that followed, I continued, "We never had the privilege of knowing Roger in his lifetime, but I want to apologize to him. For whatever reason, his death was used as a means to intimidate us."

It's a scary but true thought - we are partly responsible. Someone hated me, Luke and Art enough to slaughter a cat as a hostile signal. It's our duty to give Roger a respectful farewell.

"Austin," I nodded to him.

Austin stepped forward and chucked some rose petals over the shallow grave.

"Anyone have any words they wish to share?" I asked the small congregation.

"Quick words," Chad corrected, "My date is waiting by the car and I told her this would be fast."

I still couldn't believe that Chad brought a girl to a cat's funeral on the way to their first date. But then again, it's Chad.

She was standing by his car in the driveway, reading something on her phone. She often looked up to watch us.

"I'll say a few words," Luke said.

He was wearing a gray hoodie and navy shorts. Though he hadn't dressed in black for the funeral, he'd at least made zero smart*ss comments during the ceremony – unlike his friends.

"Do I keep sprinkling these petals or we good?" Austin asked, holding up the bucket I'd given him. There were 100 petals on the floor around him.

Maybe we should've rehearsed this.

"We're good. Thanks Austin."

"Sorry to interrupt you, bro," Austin mentioned to Luke, getting back in line next to Chad and Cearra.

Luke nodded and started his speech: "Cat, we'll find out who did this to you. And they will join you in a very shallow grave."

And that was it.