78 | Fairy Godmother

Thank you @kani.hahaha for the adorable poster! I love Millie & Luke in this <3 

☆ Please vote! ☆

Chapter 78: Fairy Godmother

Officer Patel took Anushka and me to dinner at an Italian restaurant. He said that tonight was 'daddy and daughter dinner', which had become a weekly tradition in their family. He then asked where my dad was, and I said:

"He could be working the kitchen here or on the other side of the moon," I said, "I really don't know."

I slurped up my creamy pasta and had a side of vegetables to boost my vitamin intake. At home, my pop tart supply was running low but that didn't have many nutrients anyway.

It's amazing what good food can do to your spirits. I felt myself come to life.

After tiramisu, Officer Patel drove me home and waited in the car with Anoushka for my 'adult supervision' to arrive. I was a bit nervous about that.

I didn't exactly call the most law abiding adult.

But it was very clear that Officer Patel cared about my wellbeing and was worried for me. I worry about me, too.

While we waited, a car drove up from around the corner and I recognized that black jeep wrangler. It slowed down as he passed by, and I knew Luke was staring at Officer Patel's suburban.

I watched Luke park his car in his driveway and get out, walking straight towards us. I wish he'd been here earlier. He was a lot smoother in these adult situations than I was. 

Luke was in his basketball uniform and just as he began crossing the street, the loud sound of a motorbike penetrated the air.

"My adult supervision," I told Officer Patel.

The motorbike sped past a red light and up to my house. It skidded to a halt on the sidewalk and a guy in a leather jacket jumped off.

The gambler announced, "I'm here for the muse."

I wish I could see Luke's reaction. But I saw officer Patel's expression instead, and it was priceless.

"Is that a concealed firearm?" Officer Patel pointed at the bulge in the gambler's jacket.

I'm glad no one commented about the 'muse' part. I was busy staring at the skid marks on our sidewalk, that I hadn't noticed the weapon.

"It's licensed," the gambler replied, "I have proof."

While Officer Patel inspected the gambler's paperwork, Luke approached me. 

Our street was not well lit at night and the taillights from the suburban and the motorbike created contrasting shadows across his athletic build.

"Hey, what's going on?" Luke asked, coming close to me, "Is that the police officer from the other night?"

"Yeah, he took me to dinner," I answered and, seeing Luke's surprised reaction, I added to it, "Have you met Anoushka?"

"Who?" he asked, looking at me with even more confusion.

**

~5 minutes later~ 

Before Officer Patel left, he told me to call him anytime I needed. "It's OK to ask for help, Millie. That does not make you weak."

"Thank you, officer," I said, watching as he returned to his car, "It's nice of you to care about a stranger like me."

"You're not a stranger," he answered, "You're a someone, and it's my job to try to make the world a safer and friendlier place."

I watched the Patels' drive off, feeling less afraid to reach out if I needed help - or more tiramisu. Could 'daddy and daughter plus Millie dinners' become a thing?