93 | Lost your head

Thank you @infinite_dreamer for the poster! Sets a whole mood.

And shout out to @nohlala_1206 who is studying to become a lawyer and defend the group from all their antics :) 

Chapter 93: Lost your head

"Stay away from them!" my mom yanked me aside in the parking lot, "How many times do I have to tell you that?!"

I almost tripped by the force of her pull.

"Ow, you're hurting me," I complained, feeling my arm throb.

I placed my other hand on the hood of a stranger's car for stability. Doz was awkwardly following us, trailing far behind as he tried to stay out of the argument. He kept his head glued to his phone.

I was suspended. Suspended from school for a week. We all were.

And we'd all left the principal's office under a wide range of punishments from our parents. Cearra and Austin were in a double world of trouble and I wished them luck in the next life.

On the other side of the spectrum, Chad and his father had waltzed out of there making dinner reservations.

"You deserve a world of pain for the way you behaved, Millie," my mom told me, "You've lost your head to that boy. You used to have your life together. What happened to math, your job and good behaviour?"

What are those again?

"It's not Luke's fault-"

"Aren't you embarrassed?!" she snapped.

"Aren't you?! You brought a man I've never met to my principal's office!" I replied, before looking over at Doz, "No offence Doz, you've actually been super nice in this whole situation and I really appreciate that."

He looked up from his phone and gave me a thumbs up.

"I'd rather be with this man than a Dawson any day of the week," my mom gripped me harder, digging her nails into my skin, "How can you have no shame? You accept your boyfriend's family disrespecting your own to your face."

"Ow, mom, please, you're really hurting me," I winced, seeing specks of blood from where her nails were buried in my skin.

"For a smart girl, you're really stupid," she insulted me, "Don't follow that boy into his messes. Don't you understand that the same rules don't apply? It's an unfair world and he'll get away with things that you can't. Do you know how close you were to being expelled, you clueless child?"

"I didn't do anything," I said, really feeling like my arm was about to fall off.

I was getting tired of people telling me how the world works. I choose how I want to live in this world.

The world can, the world should, and the world always changes. We change too.

"It doesn't matter if you didn't do anything," mom told me, "They need scapegoats and that ends up being you! What happened to you? I gave you tough love growing up and you still came out weak."

A small distance from us, I noticed Cearra's mom getting into her car and looking over at us a couple times. She had been lecturing Cearra in the parking lot for the last fifteen minutes.

I tried to hide the pain in my face.

My mom shook me, "Aren't you paying attention?! When we get home, you're going to go to your room-"

"You're coming home?" I asked, surprised and relieved to hear that.

I was exhausted from the responsibilities of taking care of a home – it's hard. And I was scared of being alone at night. I really needed my mom back.