23 | Your Selfish Jerk

I couldn't imagine a more perfect poster for this chapter than this one from @agni_infinity. Agni, you nailed it! 

Chapter 23: Your Selfish Jerk 

Maybe there's a secret to happiness.

Maybe happiness is in the little things; the beauty of nature surrounding you, the laughs of friendship and the budding romance you feel for someone.

I felt my heart lighten and my lips lift into a more permanent smile.

I was happy. 

We were nestled in the warmth of a cabin, surrounded by a century old forest. The fireplace crackled from the burning wood and cast a glow over the setting. Some movie was playing on the plasma screen, but we were barely watching.

Jake was sitting on the edge of the couch, his guitar on his lap. He was in a t-shirt now and the tattoos on his arms were on full display. He warmed up with a few chords, his head bent as he got settled into a comfortable position to sing. 

Chocolate pudding lay half eaten and ice cream slowly melted on ceramic plates beside us. I was lying on the couch, feeling like I found my safe place in Luke's arms.

He is not the world's most comfortable human since his muscles make for a hard pillow, but I was nowhere near complaining. On the contrary, I felt lucky to be enjoying this weekend with him. 

His fingers played with my hair and my hand rested on his hard chest, feeling it rise and fall with every breath.  

He was warm to touch and I felt comfortable in this silence.  I nestled my head under his shoulder, feeling his fingers tickle my skin as he played absentmindedly with my hair.

The truth is, I was tipsy. Bordering on drunk from all that red wine.

Music lifted into the air as Jake began to strum a few chords. Annika cheered him on, a great hype girl, and eager to hear more of his music.

I'd forgotten how good he was.

"Oooh," I exclaimed, sitting up to pay more attention.

Luke grumbled.

I had accidentally pushed down against his stomach when sitting up. He wasn't hurt, but I think he'd also felt comfortable lying in that position and didn't want us to move.

"I recognize this song," I whispered, listening to Jake get further into it.   

"It's really famous," Annika said, not minding at all that she was sitting next to our very romantic position.

Jake had mastered his technique.  The music flowed out of the guitar and he made playing it look easy. I watched his fingers move expertly across the instrument. It was kind of hypnotizing.

Jake began to sing.  He strummed the chords in an accompanying tune and his voice was husky but strong:

I could stay awake just to hear you breathing
Watch you smile while you are sleeping
While you're far away dreaming

Luke glanced down at the wine glasses on the coffee table. Mine and his were empty and he hadn't drunk his.

Oops.

"Oh no," he muttered, knowing exactly what was going to come next.

"DON'T WANT TO CLOSE MY EYES!" I screamed out, shocking everyone, "I DON'T WANT TO FALL ASLEEP, 'COS I MISS YOU BABE!"

I had jumped up and was standing precariously on the couch, pointing at Luke and almost falling on top of him.

"She drank all our wine," Luke explained to Annika, who was staring at my outburst.