abroad

i moved to germany just over a week ago for my masters degree and today, my first class is beginning. i decided i wanted to move to germany just after i finished my undergrad degree so i could pursue a degree in literature. i love reading and dream of being an author one day so i need to get as much education as possible. i'm so excited to start this course and hopefully make new friends as i have none yet.

i walk into my first class about 10 minutes before it starts and immediately take a seat around the middle of the classroom. there aren't many people here yet so i reach into my bag and grab my headphones to pass the time. i'm not a great talker anyway and hopefully this will tell other people not to bother me.

i see movement out of the corner of my eye after a few minutes and look over just in time for a really pretty asian girl to sit beside me. she smiles at me as she does so i smile back and pull out my headphones when it looks like she's about to speak to me.

"hi," she says in accented english. it's not german, though, surprisingly.

"hi," i reply. she puts her books and laptop on the desk then turns to face me again.

"my name is roseanne," she says. god, that's so pretty. "what's yours?"

"i'm (y/n)."

"where are you from? you sound like you're not a native german."

i laugh. "i'm not. i'm from (your country). you don't sound german either."

"no, i just moved from australia."

i want to talk to her more but before i can open my mouth the professor enters and roseanne, unfortunately, focuses her attention on him instead.

we don't talk much throughout the rest of the class but when we're done and packing up, roseanne turns back to me.

"hey, would you want to go and get some coffee or something?" she asks, surprising me. "i know it's random but i don't have friends here yet and you seem really nice so maybe we could be friends?"

she seems so nervous and it's absolutely adorable. if anyone should be nervous in this situation it's me, considering she's so pretty.

"yeah, i'd love to," i reply. a wide smile takes over her face then and she turns to lead me out of the classroom.

"there's a really good coffee shop just down outside of campus if that's alright with you," she suggests.

"yeah, sounds great. my apartment is just around the corner anyway."

we head off in the direction of the coffee shop in silence and when we get there, we take turns ordering drinks. roseanne gets her first so she heads over to a small table in the corner while i wait for mine.

it takes only a few more minutes and i'm soon sitting on the empty chair in front of her.

"do we want to get to know each other a little more?" she asks.

"sure," i reply. "i can go first."

roseanne nods with a smile.

"okay, well, i am 23 and, as i said, i'm from (your country). i loved to germany about a week ago just to take this course, i have a bachelors degree in literature and i'm hoping one day to be an author. outside of school i like to read, listen to music, play the piano, and basically all things 23 year old girls like."

roseanne giggles at that and i can't help but notice the sound is so soft and pretty. her face scrunches up adorably as her hand moves to cover her mouth and i want to tug it away. i want to see her pretty smile.

"tell me about you," i say with a soft smile.

"alright. my full name is roseanne as i mentioned but i like when people call me rosie. i'm also 23 and i was born in new zealand but moved to australia when i was young. i basically like all the same things that you do, although i play the guitar instead, and i'm doing this degree so i can be a high school english teacher."

"wow, that's going to be a difficult job," i say.

"maybe but i like working with kids and high school english was one of my favourite classes," she says. she looks really proud as she talks which brings a smile to my face.

"it's nice seeing people so passionate about what they want to do," i comment.

"are you not?" she asks.

"oh, i am, but i have moments when i'm not, you know? wanting to be an author is a very difficult career path and sometimes i just worry if i'm making the right choice."

"yeah, i understand that. i feel that way sometimes, too. but i guess when you really love something then it'll all be worth it, right?"

i grin. "that's very profound."

she laughs again, shaking her head gently at me.

"you're funny," i barely hear her mumble. that makes me blush and i quickly look down hoping she doesn't see me. just because i think she's cute doesn't mean she needs to know i do.

"so," she says, bringing my attention back to her, "tell me about what you've done so far."

——

we chat for almost two hours until it starts to get busy in the coffee shop and we decide we should probably give up our table. rosie throws out our cups then we leave the shop and walk a little way away to avoid the large amount of people.

"i guess i should probably head home and start on the homework," rosie says. i nod, a little upset that our fun afternoon is ending, and suggest exchanging numbers to discuss things about the class. she agrees with a big grin so we exchange phones and plug in our numbers.

when i have mine back, i find that i really don't want her to leave. i'm hesitant to walk away and i think rosie is picking up on it because she gives me another smile.

"would you want to come back to my apartment to work on the homework together?" she asks.

"i don't want to impose," i say.

"you won't be, trust me. i like having you around."

i blush again and know that she's seen it this time. but, luckily for me, she doesn't comment on it as she links one of her arms with mine and leads me in the direction of her apartment.

by the time i finally go home late that evening, i have an annoyingly large crush on rosie and absolutely no idea what to do about it. this won't be good.

i hate this but i really wanted to post and i've had no motivation so i'll post it anyway. sorry it's terrible.